Veterans Education Services – Montgomery “G.I. Bill” Education Benefits

Montgomery “G.I. Bill” Education Benefits
(Ch 30) (Ch 1606) (Ch 1607)


GI Bill Comparison Tool:

Use the link below to help you find a school and determine your GI Bill benefits while attending it.

How to apply:

To start your (Ch30) benefits, students must complete the VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits) online which is available on the the VA Website

After completing and submitting the VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Educational Benefits) online, please print and provide a copy of the form to the Office of Financial Assistance along with the Member-4-copy (showing the character of service) of your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) for each enlistment period. If you have used your Ch 30 benefits at another school in Illinois and you are planning to attend UIS, then you will need to login to the VA Website and complete DA Form 1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). Along with submitting a copy of your 1990 and/or a copy of your 1995, you also need to complete a Request for Benefits Form [PDF] for the semester you are registering for. Please submit all of this documentation to the Office of Financial Assistance located in UHB 1015. Our hours of operation are from 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. You can contact us by phone at (217) 206-6724.

What determines eligibility?

If the student has served in the active military services and is applying for Ch 30 benefits, the DD-214 must indicate that the student participated in the program (paid $100 per month for 12 months) and that the student received an honorable discharge. If the student served in the active military services and is applying for Chapter 32 (Post-Vietnam Era Education Assistance program), they must have paid into the program while on active duty.

How are the recipients selected?

These benefits are only available to personnel who served on active duty for training other than Chapter 30 or 32. If you received your basic training in the National Guard or Selected Reserves, you will be considered for Chapter 1606 benefits. Chapter 1606 benefits are given to people who have never served active duty, but are currently assigned to a Reserve or National Guard Unit with a 6 year commitment to this service. Chapter 1606 benefits are initiated the same way as Chapter 30, and they continue in the same manner. See your unit educational officer for further detail and obtain forms that are required.

How is the amount of the award determined?

Chapter 30 benefits have a base amount for two years of service, or for three or more years of service. Information on monetary amounts can be obtained from the Veterans Certifying Official located in the Office of Financial Assistance or at the bottom of this page. In addition, some individuals may have bonuses or “kickers” which will increase the amount they receive each month. The bonus is determined at the time the member enters the service. Chapter 32 recipients will receive three times what they paid in divided over 36 months. Chapter 1606 benefits have a base amount, but certain units now receive “kickers”. The student needs to check with their unit education officer to see if they qualify for a “kicker”.

How and when are the funds paid out?

The applications are submitted to the regional Department of Veterans Affairs in St. Louis. It may take 4 to 6 weeks before receiving a response. It is imperative that you get these forms completed before the first semester of attendance and finalize your registration in order to prevent delay of your benefits. Students can apply for advance pay if the application is submitted more than 30 days prior to the beginning of the first semester of attendance. Before benefits begin, a Chapter 30 student will receive a verification of attendance form that must be signed and returned to St. Louis prior to receiving the monthly check. Please visit the Office of Financial Assistance if you have any further questions.