Aim High Scholarship Program
Aim High Scholarship Program
UIS is proud to be a part of the Illinois AIM High program designed to present Illinois’ very own graduating high school seniors and transfer students optimal affordability options for premier educational opportunities here, at home in Illinois.
AIM HIGH is a merit-based, means-tested matching scholarship pilot program by the State of Illinois designed to help achieve several state goals including increasing overall Illinois college student retention, improving Illinois college affordability and reducing student loan debt, as well as enhancing enrollment at Illinois public universities. UIS will invest a matching amount of institutional funds equal to the AIM HIGH funding. The program begins with incoming undergraduates for the 2019-20 academic year.
AIM HIGH scholarship funds are to be used solely to fund tuition and other required fees during the academic year, not including summer terms. The AIM HIGH award is renewable for up to four academic years for freshmen (eight continuous semesters of eligibility total) and for up to two academic years for transfer students (four continuous semesters of eligibility) as long as you meet the renewal criteria. Funds are limited and is subject to continued state allocations.
AIM HIGH Scholarship Requirements
According to the rules established by the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC), the eligible applicant:
- Is a resident of the state of Illinois
- Is a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
- Attended an Illinois high school
- Will be a first-time incoming freshman or transfer student
- Meets the minimum GPA or ACT/SAT score and the UIS grant eligibility criteria
- Is or will be a full-time undergraduate and has not yet received a baccalaureate degree or 135 credit hours
- Is not incarcerated
- Is not in default on any student loan
- Does not owe a refund or repayment on any state or federal grant or scholarship
- Has filed a FAFSA and demonstrated need with household income no greater than six times the poverty guidelines
The AIM HIGH Program has a means test. To be eligible for an award, a student’s family income cannot be more than six times the poverty threshold for a family of a specific size. For academic year 2021/2022, the following chart is to be used:
|Persons in Family/Household||Maximum Income|
|Every Additional||Add $26,520|
How do I qualify for an AIM HIGH Scholarship?
- Apply as a first-time entering freshman or transfer student in an on-campus degree-seeking program to UIS by the priority date of May 1. Scholarships and grants will be awarded after the priority deadline as funds remain available.
- Submit a FAFSA by the priority date of May 1 each year.
- Enroll at UIS as a full-time student (12 hours per semester).
- Meet minimum merit scholarship requirements (GPA) as outlined in the Freshmen Merit/AIM HIGH Scholarship Scholarship Grid for freshmen students. For transfer students, the criteria is outlined below:
|Transfer Student Aim High Merit Scholarships|
|Transfer GPA||Annual Scholarship Amount|
|3.00 – 3.24||$1,500.00|
|3.25 – 3.49||$2,000.00|
|3.50 – 3.74||$2,500.00|
|3.75 – 4.00||$3,000.00|
How do I apply?
No separate application is required. Just complete your FAFSA requirements and be admitted to UIS by May 1!
Is the AIM HIGH Scholarship renewable?
AIM HIGH scholarships are eligible for renewal based on the following criteria:
- Continuous full-time enrollment.
- Filing a FAFSA by the May 1 priority date.
- Meeting the family income threshold for the respective FAFSA income year.
- Making Satisfactory Academic Progress. Please see policy for detailed information.
- Meeting institutional cumulative GPA requirements as outlined below:
Lincoln/ Aim High Merit Scholarships High School
Annual Scholarship Amount 4.0 $8,000/ 3.0 3.80-3.99 $7,000/ 3.0 3.60-3.79 $6,000/ 3.0 3.40-3.59 $4,000/ 3.0 3.20-3.39 $2,000/ 3.0 3.00-3.19 $1,000/ 3.0 ** To renew the Lincoln/ Aim High Merit Scholarship, students must maintain a minimum of a cumulative 3.0 Institutional G.P.A. ** Transfer Student Aim High Merit Scholarships Transfer GPA Annual Scholarship Amount 3.00 – 3.24 1500/3.0 3.25 – 3.49 2000/3.0 3.50 – 3.74 2500/3.0 3.75 – 4.00 3000/3.0
** To renew the Transfer Student Aim High Merit Scholarship, students must maintain a minimum of a cumulative 3.0 Institutional G.P.A. **
- Meeting all other AIM HIGH criteria.
- New freshman AIM HIGH scholarships are renewable until 135 credit hours have been earned or eight continuous semesters have been completed or the first UIS degree has been completed, whichever comes first.
- Transfer AIM HIGH scholarships are renewable until 135 credit hours have been earned (including transferred hours), or four continuous semesters at UIS have been completed or completion of the first UIS degree, whichever comes first.
Can I receive other financial aid in addition to the AIM HIGH Merit Scholarship?
Yes. The AIM HIGH scholarship is intended to offset tuition and mandatory fees after all other merit and gift aid is applied to a student’s account. Additional aid such as loans and student employment can also be received in order to assist in paying other educational expenses such as room and board, supplies, and other personal or miscellaneous expenses. Your total financial aid package cannot exceed the cost of attendance.
What is the UIS funding for the AIM HIGH Scholarships?
UIS will provide 50% of the scholarship amount.
For example: $8,000 award – AIM High funds $4,000; UIS funds $4,000.