Financial Aid Terms and Conditions

The financial aid identified on your Award Letter is being offered to you with the following conditions:

  • You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
  • You must be classified as a degree-seeking student at the University of Illinois at Springfield to be eligible for financial aid. Unclassified students, non-degree-seeking students and provisionally admitted students are not eligible for financial aid. If you are a graduate student, you must be fully admitted to your program. Conditionally admitted graduate students may be eligible for aid for one calendar year, but you need to check with the Office of Financial Assistance to determine if you are eligible and to find out what limitations exist. Provisionally admitted graduate students are not eligible for financial assistance.
  • Your financial assistance is awarded based on merit and/or calculated need as determined from the information provided on your financial aid application forms. Financial aid awards are subject to adjustments or cancellations due to changes in laws, regulations, appropriations, changes in your financial situation, verification, discovery of data errors, changes in your enrollment status or changes in your residency status amongst others.
  • Students who have been previously incarcerated or are currently incarcerated or who might be incarcerated during their current term of attendance must identify themselves to the financial aid office to determine their financial aid eligibility.
  • If you receive any financial assistance from an outside source (e.g., a private scholarship) that is not included on your Award Letter, you must inform the Office of Financial Assistance.
  • You must be enrolled at least half-time (six credit hours minimum for undergraduate students for all semesters; five credit hours minimum for graduate students for the fall and spring semesters and three credit hours minimum for the summer semester) to be eligible for the Federal Direct Loan(s). You must review the Disbursement Process — Receiving Your Aid so as to understand the financial aid disbursement process.
  • If you drop below half-time status after the add/drop period, all loans for future semesters will be cancelled. You will be required to complete loan exit counseling and an exit counseling hold will be placed on your student account until this requirement is completed. You must submit a written request for a review of your financial aid status to determine if the cancelled loans can be reinstated. If you have any questions about your enrollment and continued eligibility for financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance.
  • Please remember that enrolling in courses is not enough to secure your financial aid.  You must also attend the courses in which you enroll.  The Office of Financial Assistance is required to verify that students who receive a non-passing grade (any grade other than A, B, C, D, CR, DFR or I) in any class actually began attending the class. For example, if you receive an F or an NC in a course, or no grade is reported, we will follow up to determine whether or not you attended the class.Failure to attend can be expensive: your aid could be reduced retro­actively and you could be required to repay aid you have received.  If you have any questions about your enrollment and eligibility for financial aid, please contact the Office of Financial Assistance.
  • You financial aid package is usually based on enrollment in 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduates or 8 credit hours for graduate students. If you enroll for less credit hours, your financial aid awards (including the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Direct Loans, OFA grants/scholarships, Federal Perkins Loan, and the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) will be adjusted/reduced or cancelled accordingly.
  • You must only be enrolled in classes required to complete degree requirements in your specified program of study as specified in the UIS Catalog. You should refer to your DARS report to determine that the coursework you are enrolled in is required to meet graduation requirements in your program.
  • Classes taken for audit are not eligible for financial assistance and do not count toward enrollment for purposes of financial assistance. It is the student’s responsibility to inform the UIS Office of Financial Assistance if he/she enrolls in a class for an audit grade.
  • If requested, you must provide documents to verify the accuracy of information reported on the FAFSA before financial aid can be awarded or disbursed.
  • All awards in your financial aid package are contingent upon continued funding from federal, state, and institutional sources. If funding for any of your awards is reduced, suspended, or eliminated, the affected awards will be reduced or rescinded accordingly. If the awards were disbursed to your account, the amount of the reduction or rescission will be charged back to your account no later than the end of the term for which the award was made, and you will be responsible for paying the account balance in accordance with University payment policies.
  • Important Notice from the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC)
    By applying for financial aid and agreeing to share that information with the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC), you have been considered for the State of Illinois (IL) Monetary Award Program (MAP) Grant. If you were determined to meet the eligibility criteria for the MAP grant, an award is included on this award letter. This award may be an estimate made by the financial aid office and, if so, is identified as a “State of IL MAP Grant (Est)”. MAP grants are limited based on the number of applicants and funding levels appropriated by the Illinois General Assembly. Please be aware that in light of state funding constraints, reductions to estimated or actual MAP grants are possible.Eligibility for a MAP grant is tracked by the equivalent number of semester credit hours of MAP benefits paid on your behalf. This is called MAP Paid Credit Hours. Payments for each term is being made according to the equivalent number of credit hours eligible for MAP payment, with a minimum of 3 and a maximum of 15 MAP Paid Credit Hours.There is a limit on the number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be paid while you are classified by your school as a freshman and sophomore. This limit is the equivalent of 75 MAP Paid Credit Hours. If this maximum is reached, you must attain junior status for your MAP grant eligibility to resume. The maximum number of MAP Paid Credit Hours that can be received is capped at 135.If a State of IL MAP Grant award (Est)is not included on your award letter, you are not eligible for the grant at the University of Illinois at Springfield.
  • The State of Illinois MAP Grant will be reduced if you are registered for fewer than 15 credit hours in a semester.
  • You will be responsible for repaying any funds you receive that exceed your financial need, or if for any reason, you become ineligible for the financial aid. If you drop classes, withdraw, or make other academic changes, your financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required. Please contact the UIS Office of Financial Assistance prior to dropping or withdrawing from the university. It may impact your current or future aid eligibility.
  • If you stop attending classes without officially withdrawing (unofficial withdrawal), your financial aid awards may be adjusted and repayment may be required.
  • You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
  • Two or more tuition and/or fee restricted awards may be combined, but the total cannot exceed your assessed tuition and/or fees.
  • You must work in a Federal Work-Study (FWS) position to earn the FWS amount shown on your Award Letter. FWS funds are not disbursed into your University Billing Account. You receive a pay check every two weeks, just as in any other form of employment.
  • If you are working toward a second bachelor’s degree, you may be only eligible for Federal Direct Loan(s).
  • You are not eligible for aid restricted to undergraduate students, such as the Federal Pell Grant, ISAC MAP Grant, or Federal SEOG, if you have a bachelor’s degree or if you are a graduate/professional student.
  • You will receive financial aid in two installments (one half is disbursed for fall semester; the second half for spring semester), unless otherwise noted. Disbursements are made directly to your student account.