This certificate is available on-campus.
This certificate is designed to provide specialized knowledge and skills concerning the teaching of English Studies in secondary institutions and at the college level. The curriculum is designed to provide both theoretical and applied knowledge of three specific content areas of English Studies vital to classroom instruction and curricular development: Composition, Literature, and Language. Upon completion of the four required courses and a practicum, students will receive a certificate. Because the certificate requires classroom teaching experience, it is offered on-ground. The certificate may be taken without pursuing a master’s degree, or it may be incorporated into the M. A. in English.
Please note: this certificate does not provide teaching certification, endorsement, or licensure for any state board of education. However, the course of study may be particularly valuable for teachers who are already certified or licensed, e.g., for those who have a master’s degree and want to teach dual-credit courses at the high school level, and/or those who plan to teach English at the lower-division/community college level.
- Candidates must meet UIS requirements for admission to graduate studies.
- Candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree in English or another related area of study.
- Candidates without a Bachelor’s Degree in English must have completed the minimum course work equivalent to an English minor (15-16 credit hours in English beyond first-year composition).
- Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and an English GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Candidates who have earned a GPA lower than 3.0 in English, in some cases and in consideration of all application materials, may receive conditional admission. They may be required to complete additional course work.
- Candidates who are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or equivalent must receive a score of 580 or higher to be admitted.
- Non-Degree Seeking Graduate Application (PDF), or apply online
- Complete transcripts from all colleges and universities attended
English Department application
- English Department Application Form (PDF)
- A cover letter (1-2 pages) explaining why they are interested in the Graduate Certificate program
- Curriculum Vitae (2 pages)
- Names and contact information of three references, two of which need to be academic references
- An analytical writing sample (10-15 pages) illustrating a sustained argument built from primary and secondary sources
Candidates for the certificate will be expected to complete course requirements with a grade of C+ or better; however, the cumulative grade point average earned must be at least 3.0 for the certificate to be awarded. Descriptions for the following courses required for the certificate are available from the UIS online catalog.
|ENG 501||Digital Humanities Research||4|
|ENG 550||Seminar: Topics in Teaching Writing||4|
|ENG 551||Teaching Literature||4|
|ENG 552||Sociolinguistics and English Studies||4|
|ENG 553||Teaching Practicum||2|