Guidelines for Using Facebook
See the University of Illinois Springfield Facebook Page at for examples of good standards in Facebook Page creation, image use, and posting. If you are a university administrator of social media for your department or office, be sure to join the UIS Social Media group on Facebook.
- Assign more than one administrator to your Page. This will help you to keep ownership of your Page even if employees in your department or office leave UIS.
- Name your Facebook Page well. See our list of Facebook pages on the Sights and Sounds website for examples. We ask that you name your page “UIS (department name)”.
- Take advantage of the “username” option on Facebook to give your Page a customized, shorter “vanity” URL.
- Address information: Use One University Plaza, instead of the number 1. This is our official address.
- Visit our Sights and Sounds social media page. While acting as your Page on Facebook, click the “Like” button for Facebook pages listed here. This connects you to other university Facebook Pages and helps incorporate you into the university’s Facebook community.
Please note: Only university Facebook Pages that follow our standards, Facebook’s Terms, and keep updated content on their pages are listed here.
- We suggest that you use our standard wordmark for your official Facebook profile image. Contact the Office of Web Services to request this image. You are free to choose different representative cover photo images for your Timeline, but please note Facebook’s Terms and Guidelines regarding the use of cover photos.
- If you have other social media channels you are using, link to them on Facebook.
- On your Facebook Page settings, make sure the default view for the wall is posts by Page and Fans. This allows for more interaction. Also make sure under Posting Ability that fans can post content to the wall.
- Contact the Office of Web Services for more help with your Facebook Page.