Provost’s Communication on Summer & Fall Registration
April 6, 2020
This message is to share information with you about the summer and fall semesters. Please keep in mind that this information might change as our responses to the evolving COVID-19 pandemic may require revision. If there are changes, we will keep you updated.
Registration for Summer and Fall
Registration for summer and fall courses starts today, Monday, April 6. Most of the summer courses at UIS are already scheduled to be taught online. In alignment with many other universities, UIS will be moving on-ground courses to remote delivery for summer. This decision emerges from an increased likelihood that some forms of social-distancing policies may continue into June. We want to do everything we can to help ensure that our students, faculty, and staff remain as safe as possible. Making this decision at this point allows faculty more time to plan the transition for those courses that will be affected.
At this time, no required alterations are expected in the delivery mode for courses offered in the fall 2020 semester, although this could change if deemed necessary. UIS faculty members are asked to plan for instructional delivery using the same methods to offer the course in the mode currently designated. Course-delivery mode designation (remote delivery instead of on-campus) will only change if mandated by University of Illinois System Office or the State of Illinois authorities
Grading for Spring 2020
Questions regarding the Credit/No Credit (CR/NC) grading option for spring 2020 should be sent to the UIS Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students should be encouraged to discuss details, and potential implications, with their advisors and faculty before choosing the CR/NC option. If students do not request the CR/NC option from the Registrar’s Office by April 24, semester grades will default to the letter grades assigned by faculty members.
Support and Resources
We know that teaching remotely this semester and transitioning your summer on-ground courses to remote formats involves a great deal of work on the part of faculty. There are many resources available to support you and to help you support anxious students during this turbulent time. These include:
- The UIS COVID-19 Information and Resources Webpage at https://www.uis.edu/covid-19/uis-updates/.
- Questions regarding CR/NC options for spring 2020 should be sent to the UIS Registrar at email@example.com.
- The Center for Online Learning, Research and Service (COLRS) offers assistance in remote instructional design, methods, and technologies at https://www.uis.edu/colrs/teaching-remotely-at-uis/ .
- The College Deans and their staff members remain available for guidance and assistance, as do the Office of Undergraduate Education (firstname.lastname@example.org), and the Office of Graduate Education (email@example.com).
- For students, “UIS QuickChat” has been launched this week, connecting students directly to trained support staff, via the UIS homepage. UIS QuickChat is available currently from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Sundays.
Dennis R. Papini
Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Provost
University of Illinois at Springfield
Public Affairs Center, Room 530
One University Plaza, MS PAC 525
Springfield, Illinois 62703-5407