Message from Chancellor Koch to Students: COVID-19 Update
Dear Students —
As UIS continues to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic, it is important you have the information and resources necessary to navigate this quickly changing situation. We’ve received many questions from students, and what follows are answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we’ve heard this week. Please continue to check uis.edu/covid-19 for the most up-to-date information. The online FAQs include a section specifically tailored to students.
Transitioning to Remote Teaching
We understand that students need certain tools to be successful in a remote learning environment. To better help us plan how to assist students, please fill out the survey (one question!) at https://go.uis.edu/remotelearningtools. Thank you for assisting us in collecting this very important information to help you access the tools you need.
Spring Break is extended through March 22 for ALL students, whether your coursework is delivered on-ground, online or in a blended format. Please continue to watch your UIS email for further instructions from faculty about how delivery of your courses for the remainder of the term may be changing. This extra week of Spring Break will not lengthen the semester overall.
Our residential spaces reopen at noon Sunday, March 15, to accommodate students who plan to return and live in campus housing, as needed. If residential students choose to remain at home, their residential space will be secured for them, as they each hold an individual contract for their living space. Please contact Residence Life with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-206-6190.
Food Service will be provided on weekdays from 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Student Union beginning Sunday, March 15. Weekend hours will be 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Starbucks will reopen Monday, March 16, but with reduced hours (8 a.m. to 2 p.m.). More info: Visit uis.edu/foodservice/facilities or email@example.com or 217-206-6767.
Most student events scheduled for the next several weeks have been canceled. UIS Connection is being updated as decisions are made regarding student events. Please contact Student Life at firstname.lastname@example.org or 217-206-4762 for more information.
On-campus resources remain open and available to support students, though hours of operation or modes of delivery may be amended. Please check the appropriate websites for updated hours and other important information.
- Brookens Library: Hours will be updated weekly. https://library.uis.edu/
- Health Services: Walk-in appointments are currently suspended. Please call 217-206-6676 beforehand to schedule a visit. www.uis.edu/healthservices/
- Counseling Center: The center remains open, and staff will also be available remotely for students not returning to campus.www.uis.edu/counselingcenter/
- Disability Services: Services will remain available for students. Visit www.uis.edu/disabilityservices/ or contact 217-206-6666 or email@example.com.
- Center for Academic Success and Advising: The center will remain open for in-person appointments and will be available for all services remotely as well. For information, call 217-206-6503 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ITS: Students who need technology assistance should contact the Helpdesk at 217-206-6000 or email email@example.com.
Student Workers, Interns and Graduate Assistants
- Student workers may return to their on-campus positions if they choose. Please contact your supervisor to discuss whether you intend to return or not.
- Off-campus interns should continue to report to work if operations are not restricted at their workplace. Contact GPSIor ILSIP with specific questions.
- Student teachers should continue their placement and follow directions and guidelines from the school district. UIS will be flexible in the event of temporary public school closings so that student teaching candidates do not face an additional licensure barrier. Contact Teacher Educationwith specific questions.
- Grad Assistants are not required to work during the extended Spring Break. Stipends will remain the same. GAs are expected to return toregular work schedules on campus beginning Monday, March 23.
For students who intend to continue living on campus, I ask that you practice recommended social distancing and proper handwashing. The health and safety of our entire university community is our top priority!
This is a rapidly changing situation, and as such, our response may need to change as well. Please continue to visit uis.edu/covid-19 for the latest updates. For any general questions that cannot be addressed by the units mentioned above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.