Substance abuse is a concern with which many people struggle. Some common reasons that people use alcohol and drugs are: to escape problems or relieve anxiety, to fit in, to celebrate social occasions, and to relieve boredom.
Substance abuse increases the risk of harm from accidents and violence, and can result in missing classes or work, strained relationships, health problems, legal difficulties, and physical dependence.
The Counseling Center staff helps individuals to identify situations that trigger substance use and abuse and to develop alternative coping strategies. The staff also works with the UIS Substance Abuse Task Force to sponsor substance abuse prevention activities for the campus. UIS Policy and Program for Drug Prevention
- Want to see images of alcohol and drug abuse? Welcome to Amen Clinics Spect Gallery.
- Campus Health and Safety — An on-line resource for information about creating healthier and safer living and learning environments for college students, emphasizing a comprehensive public health-based approach to addressing alcohol and other drug use, violence and in promoting mental health wellness among students.
- NIDA for Teens: Facts on drugs, get the inside information on how different drugs can affect the brain and body.
- Pregnancy & Drugs: The harm that drugs can do to your unborn child
- Methamphetamine Abuse, as well as info on Ecstasy, LSD, Heroin
- Designer Drugs -This is a good introduction to anyone not familiar with designer drugs. It explains how they got their name, what they are, what they do and why they can be more dangerous then heroin or cocaine.
- The American Council on Science and Health cites studies that conclude smoking among teenagers is strongly linked to other types of substance abuse.
- Smoking – Attention smokers who want to be non-smokers, use this cost calculator to help with motivation.
- Quit Smoking Day – offers support and information for those trying to kick the habit and raises awareness of the dangers of smoking tobacco cigarettes and marijuana.
- Guide to Substance Abuse and Mental Health in College is a self-help guide by American Addiction Centers that aims to educate college students about substance abuse and mental health. It provides comprehensive information about alcohol and other drugs, and treatment information for individuals and their families. American Addiction Centers also provide free consultation and referrals for individuals seeking help
- Treatment 4 Addiction is the largest and most frequently updated treatment center directory. The national directory of treatment centers includes the SAMSHA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration) database, as well as many private treatment centers, therapists and addiction professionals. It also provides information on types of treatment, addictions and mental health disorders.
- Need help overcoming addiction? Go to www.drugabuse.com to find Illinois Drug Abuse Treatment Locations and other helpful information about drug and alcohol abuse.
- Drug Rehab Near Me was created to help individuals and their family members seeking drug rehab facilities, drug detox facilities, teen drug rehab, and dual diagnosis treatment. You just enter the state you are located in, followed by the city.
- Comprehensive Guide to Drugs on Campus is a resource that provides information and support to people fighting substance abuse and addiction.