Information for Students
The 47th annual UIS commencement ceremonies will be held at the Bank of Springfield Center on Saturday, May 12, 2018. There will be two ceremonies at 12:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. The ceremonies will be divided by college. Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences will participate in the 12:30 p.m. ceremony. Students in the College of Business and Management, College of Education and Human Services, and College of Public Affairs and Administration will participate in the 5:30 p.m. ceremony.
How to Participate/
Graduate Salute Days for Purchasing Caps and Gowns
Those planning to participate in the commencement ceremony ARE REQUIRED to complete the following TWO steps:
- Confirm their participation by submitting an online intent to participate between March 5 and March 19. This form will be available soon. Only those who are eligible to participate will be able to submit their intent to participate. Even students making special cap and gown arrangements (e.g., borrowing a black cap and gown), needed to confirm participation between the dates above.
- Purchase a cap and gown during the “Graduate Salute” held in the UIS Bookstore on March 22, 23, and 24. Peoria students are able to purchase their caps and gowns through the UIS Peoria Center. Graduate Salute days are as follows:
- Thursday, March 22 – 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Friday, March 23 – 10 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Saturday, March 24 – 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Important Information for All Graduates
- Access to Your NetID
Your NetID will remain active for three (3) semesters after graduation. After that time, you will no longer be able to use your NetID to access email, Blackboard, or other campus services such as Box, lynda, Office 365, etc. Please see the User Account Lifecycle for NetIDs policy for more information.
- Ceremony DVD
To purchase a ceremony DVD, please complete the Graduation Ceremony DVD Request.
On commencement day, diploma covers are presented to students by the Chancellor. On rare occasions and with the approval of the Chancellor, a current or former UIS faculty or staff member may be allowed to present a particular diploma cover on behalf of the Chancellor. Official diplomas are not given out at commencement, but are instead mailed to students separately.
Want to know the proper etiquette for Commencement? Download the guide here. (pdf)
- First Destination Survey (FDS)
The First Destination Survey (FDS) is a national survey that is meant to gain knowledge about what activities students are engaging in after graduation from college. The information gained from the survey helps to determine institution effectiveness and provide data for reporting needs, to enhance UIS academic offerings, and support career exploration for current and future students. Prior to graduation day, you will receive emails with additional information and be asked to complete the Outcomes Survey. By completing the survey, you will qualify to win a variety of prizes including iPads and gift cards. For further information, you may visit the UIS Career Development website.
Students are responsible for knowing and adhering to all University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS) policies, deadlines, and procedures. Specific graduation and commencement-related information is available in the current catalog and must be followed. An appeal of the commencement participation policy must be made in writing (via letter or email) and must include all documentation that supports the appeal.
Professional photography on commencement day will be provided by GradImages. Questions regarding photographs following the ceremony should be addressed directly to GradImages.
Program marshals have the responsibility for lining up their program’s graduates, leading them in the procession to their seats, and leading them across the stage to receive their diploma covers. Because of this responsibility, it is essential that these individuals can be identified by students. Therefore, only program marshals are allowed to wear gold stoles during commencement. Some departments, associations, and groups have chosen to recognize their students by allowing them to wear colored cords or non-gold stoles. Those seeking approval to distribute cords or non-gold stoles to their students must do so by submitting a formal request to the Registrar in the Office of Records and Registration. The request is considered, the Registrar communicates a decision to the appropriate parties, and updates the master list of approved cords, stoles, and miscellaneous items worn at commencement.
- Student Speaker Application Information
The deadline to submit a Student Commencement Speaker Application for 2018 will be TBA. This year’s Student Commencement Speaker is TBA.
- Commencement Letter #1 (pdf)
- Commencement Letter #2 (pdf)
- Commencement Letter #3 (pdf)
See the Visitors section of this website for information about special needs, directions, parking, hotels, and restaurants.
Starting Your Affordable Legacy
For the sake of those who follow, start your affordable legacy.
- Congratulations on your achievement, and best wishes for the future. As you go forward, please consider helping those who follow with your contributions to the UIS program of your choice. Future graduates will thank you!
- You can find many wonderful giving opportunities available at any level of giving on the Office of Advancement website. Use the “Choose Where to Give” tab at the top to see a list of many opportunities. The UIS Fund, which provides support for programs and students throughout campus, is always an excellent choice.
- You’ll be receiving updates from the Office of Advancement with campus stories of students and special opportunities for giving.
- If you have questions, please feel free to call us at (217) 206-6058.
UIS Ring Program and Tradition
The Official Ring of the University of Illinois at Springfield symbolizes the educational values, heritage, and traditions of the University. The University of Illinois alumni family is united by rich traditions of loyalty, excellence, and service, and we invite you to help carry on this proud legacy through active participation in the UIS Ring Program.
The UIS Ring can be ordered by phone (866/225-3687) or online (www.balfour.com).
Balfour, the Official UIS Ring provider, will have representatives on campus during Graduate Salute to size and order rings in-person.
If you have questions, please feel free to contact Graduation by calling (217) 206-7730 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.