Frequently Asked Student Questions
- Q: I have old courses still displaying on Blackboard. How do I remove old courses?
- Q: I can’t log in to Blackboard. Nothing works. Neither does my email.
- Q: How do I log in to Blackboard?
- Q: What username and password should I use for Blackboard?
- Q: How do I change my Blackboard password?
- Q. What are the best browser settings to use with Blackboard?
- Q: I got in, but don’t see my course(s) listed.
- Q: Can I enter a site I am not enrolled in (as guest)?
- Q: How do I get help for Blackboard?
- Q: Why do posts in the discussion forum have questions marks where quotation marks should be?
Also, other students cannot see my posts in the discussion board.
- Q: I cannot see the course menu (links on the left side of Blackboard when I log into my courses.
If you find that an important question you have about Blackboard is not covered in this document, please let us know.
The Questions and Answers in detail:
A: While you cannot remove yourself from the courses, you can choose not to display them on the “My UIS” page.
- Click on the gear icon that appears on the top right of your course list box.
- Next, uncheck the boxes for the courses you do not wish to see.
- Once you are done, click “Submit.”
Your UIS NetID password may need to be reset. You will need to contact the Tech Support for this issue.
A: The UIS Blackboard server: The server is available 24 hours/day 7 days/week. From the bb.uis.edu web page, enter your UIS NetID account information. This is the same account information you use to access your UIS email account. Then click the “LOGIN” button. A successful login will take you to the portal page of the UIS Blackboard server from which you can check your grades, change your personal information, or link to the courses in which you are enrolled. If you experience problems logging into the Blackboard server, check or establish your UIS NetID and password. Contact the UIS ITS Tech Support staff for further assistance.
Q: What username and password should I use for Blackboard?
A: For all UIS services (Blackboard, Webmail, registration), you will use your UIS NetID and associated password. It does not include “@uis.edu”.
If you do not yet have a NetID, claim your NetID online.
A: Blackboard tests and recommends specific browsers for students and instructors. Please use one of the recommended browsers for your course work.
In general, if you are experiencing strange errors while browsing web pages, you should upgrade your web browser and check these settings in your browser’s preferences area.
SSL Much of Blackboard goes through secure connections. SSL must be enabled, and it is crucially important to have the right versions enabled.
Cookies With cookies turned off, logging in is impossible, as a sessionID cookie is used to identify and authenticate you throughout your session.
Pop-ups Allowing pop-ups is necessary to make Virtual Classroom and Office Hours Chat work.
A: There are various possible reasons:
- The Blackboard has not been made available to students. Blackboard courses become available to students at 12:01 a.m. on the first day of classes, unless the instructor opens the course early.
- You have not yet been added (enrolled) to the Blackboard course, although you have registered for the course. After you register for a course, it can take between 24-48 hours for you to be enrolled in a Blackboard course.
A: No. Guest users are not permitted on the UIS Blackboard system. If an instructor chooses, he or she may request a guest account for speakers or other experts to join the course.
A: Students experiencing technical problems should call the UIS Tech Support Hotline toll-free (in Illinois) at 877.847.0443. Outside Illinois, please call 217.206.7357. Hours of operation are available from the UIS Technology Support Help Desk. You may also e-mail email@example.com for after-hours assistance.
Q: Why do posts in the discussion forum have questions marks where quotation marks should be? For example, “opinion” appears as ?opinion?. Also, other students cannot see my posts in the discussion board.
A: These issues are related to copying and pasting from Microsoft Word documents into Blackboard.
By default, Microsoft Word automatically changes straight quotation marks ( ‘ or ” ) to curly (smart or typographer’s) quotes as you type. When these special characters are pasted into Blackboard, they are not recognized, and turn into question marks. Other Microsoft Word characters that turn into question marks in Blackboard are: quotes, apostrophes, double dashes, and 3 periods in a row.
If you copy and paste from a .docx file into Blackboard, it copies over hidden code that makes your text impossible to view in some browsers.
To solve this issue, use a simple text editor, such as Notepad or Textpad rather than Microsoft Word. Or, save your Word document as plain text (.txt) before copying to Blackboard.
Q: I cannot see the course menu (links on the left side of Blackboard when I log into my courses.
You have likely collapsed your course menu. View instructions on how to expand your Blackboard course menu.