- University Pearson Faculty Award for Outstanding Teaching
- Layne Morsch (2019)
- University Burks Oakley II Distinguished Online Teaching Award
- Layne Morsch (2018)
- College Faculty Excellence Awards
- Teaching – Layne Morsch (2017)
- Scholarship- Steven Johnson (2016)
- University Spencer Faculty Award for Exemplary Service
- Harshavardhan Bapat (2016)
- Apple Distinguished Educator
- Layne Morsch (2015)
- Dr. Layne Morsch had an article published in Chemical Education Research and Practice titled Student-generated videos in Chemistry Education, (February 2020)
- Dr. Layne Morsch had an article published in The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning titled Emergence of Different Perspectives of Success in Collaborative Learning, (August 2019)
- Dr. Layne Morsch had an article published in the International Journal of Students as Partners titled Multi-dimensional trust between partners for international online collaborative learning in the Third Space, (May 2019)
- Dr. Layne Morsch had an article published in The Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning titled Overcoming Barriers for Implementing Online Collaborative Assignments, (May 2019)
- Dr. Layne Morsch had an article published in the Journal of Chemical Education titled Inquiry-Based IR-Spectroscopy Activity Using iSpartan or Spartan for Introductory-Organic-Chemistry Students, (March 2019)
- Dr. Layne Morsch had an article published in Chemical Education Research and Practice titled Developing Communication Confidence and Professional Identity in Chemistry through International Online Collaborative Learning, (April 2018)
- The Teaching Fellows Program at UIS is the brainchild of Dr. Layne Morsch, a professor in the UIS Chemistry Department. (February 2018)
- Dr. Keenan Dungey had an article published (with Dr. Michael Lemke from Biology) in Hydrobiologia titled Diversity and succession of pelagic microorganism communities in a newly restored Illinois River floodplain lake (August 2017)
- Dr. Layne Morsch made 3 presentations (one including UIS undergraduate student Tonda Chasteen) on Interinstitutional Chemistry Communication at the 253rd American Chemical Society (ACS) National Meeting, San Francisco, CA (April 2017).
- Dr. Layne Morsch had a peer reviewed chapter titled “Flipped Teaching in Organic Chemistry Using iPad Devices” published in the book The Flipped Classroom Volume 1: Background and Challenges (Nov 2016).
- Dr. Keenan Dungey along with Dr. Michael Lemke (Biology) and Jonathan GoldbergBelle (International Programs) received a $25,000 Innovation Fund grant from Coca-Cola to help students compare river ecosystems in Brazil and Illinois. Read more about it in UIS News (Nov 2016).
Chemistry faculty receive CLAS Awards
The UIS College of Liberal Arts and Sciences announced the 2016 recipients of the three faculty excellence awards on Friday October 21, 2016 with two professors from the Chemistry Department chosen for the awards. Dr. Keenan Dungey received the CLAS Faculty Excellence Award for Service and Dr. Stephen Johnson received the CLAS Faculty Excellence Award for Scholarship. Congratulations to both professors on their achievements and recognition.
- Dr. Harshavardhan Bapat leads the team that brings kids to the UIS campus for Camp Invention (June 20-24, 2016) for a second year. They are encouraged to explore STEM fields with fun and creativity.
- Read a recent (2016) article published in Peptides by Dr. Stephen Johnson.
A reexamination of poneratoxin from the venom of the bullet ant Paraponera clavata
Dr. Layne Morsch selected as an Apple Distinguished Educator
Dr. Layne Morsch, associate professor of Chemistry at the University of Illinois Springfield has been selected as an Apple Distinguished Educator Class of 2015. He was selected for this honor based on his incorporation of technology into his organic chemistry courses and in particular his use of iPads to engage students in the classroom as well as outside of class meetings.