Points of Pride
The Department of Chemistry has several attractive features:
For Our Students:
- Chemistry has a high student to faculty ration with between 4-15 graduates every year (in both chemistry and biochemistry majors combined).
- 50-60% of our students are female.
- Students have the opportunities to perform individual research with faculty members and present their work at regional and national meetings.
- The Internship and Prior Learning program allows students to perform internships.
- The UIS Chemistry Program is accredited by the American Chemical
- We offer a Biochemistry degree.
- We offer a Science of the Environment Concentration
- Smaller class size than most public universities.
- Our students get a lot of hands on experience with current lab equipment.
- All the faculty members have a terminal degree (Ph.D.).
- Our faculty are dynamic, student-oriented, and here to help students achieve their ultimate goals.
- Labs for majors are taught by full-time instructors of faculty, not graduate students.
Goals for our graduates :
A B.S. Chemist from UIS will be characterized as being able to:
- Integrate chemical knowledge
- Perform appropriate laboratory skills
- Communicate scientific information
- Apply the scientific process
- Participate in the chemical profession