Points of Pride
The College of Business and Management takes pride in developing an environment of engagement, innovation, and impact both in teaching and scholarly activity. Please explore our site to learn more and watch video testimonials from some of our students. A few highlights of some of the many accomplishments are listed below.
- Dr. Neetu Singh has successfully completed the Master Online Teacher (MOT) certificate in Summer 2019 from ION professional eLearning Programs. This professional certificate confirms the competencies of a master online teacher related to instructions, instructional design, student assessment, universal design principles, encouraging communication, and effective online course design. Further, it enhances the skills of online teaching and learning.
- Dr. Hasan Kartal received the SAP Global Certification as an associate application consulted of SAP Predictive Analytics. The certification validates that the candidate possesses the knowledge required of the SAP consultant profile and has the in‐depth technical skills including the capabilities of SAP Predictive Analytics to participate in a project team and provide insights into business analytics challenges.
- Faculty and students in the CBM (MBA) participate in Innovate Springfield’s social innovation and business incubation programs. Students have the opportunity to learn and work on activities designed to accelerate the growth and success of startup and early-stage companies.
- The degree program in Accounting at University of Illinois at Springfield has been ranked as a “Best Value for the Money” in the annual nationwide ranking of U.S. colleges and universities by College Factual. The Accounting program at UIS is ranked #49 out of 601 programs at colleges and universities in the United States reviewed as “Best for the Money.” This places UIS’s Accounting program in the Top 10% of all such programs in the country reviewed by College Factual for value.
- CBM Faculty, Staff and Administrators Welcome New Freshman Business Students-August 2019
- UIS ranked the fourth best public regional university in the Midwest by U.S. News & World Report
- UIS ranks #9 for Best Online Accredited Programs
- UIS study finds “bedazzled” recycling bins don’t increase recycling behavior on campus
- UIS names new director of economic development and innovation in an effort to spur local business growth
- Feng-Shun “Leo” Bin named the PNC Distinguished Professor at UIS
- Downtown Springfield business incubator becomes first hub of Illinois Innovation Network
- UIS Society for Human Resource Management student chapter wins national Superior Merit Award 2nd Year in a Row
- UIS students finish in first place at a national Society for Advancement of Management competition
- Beta Gamma Sigma Induction Ceremony- April 2018
- Associate Professor of Management Benjamin Walsh named University Scholar at UIS
- Associate Professor of Management Ranjan Karri given the Spencer Faculty Service Award
- UIS College of Business and Management earns prestigious AACSB reaccreditation- February 2017
- New – Graduate Certificate in Operations and Supply Chain Management
- New – Graduate Certificate in Applied Finance
- New – Graduate Certificate in Healthcare Management
College of Business and Management recent graduate, Adella Nguyen, started her new job with Shopee in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, as a Strategic Partnership Associate.
- Approximately 450 undergraduate students completed an internship with a state agency, local business, or Fortune 500 company since the fall of 2012. Also, 165 graduate students from the Accountancy, MBA and MIS programs participated in the Graduate Public Sector Internship experience, earning an average of $26,500 while gaining invaluable experiences in the workforce that complemented their coursework.
- The UIS chapter of the Association for Information Systems won awards in the categories of Membership and also Careers in “IS” in 2016.
- Prof. Jorge Villegas has developed a personalized course for students working in an Interprofessional Student Team Hot Spotting Mini-Grant from Camden Coalition of Healthcare Providers, Primary Care Progress, and the Association of American Medical Colleges.
- The BUS program helped students launch the first marketing association in the history of UIS. The Young Professional Marketers association has organized a significant number of events every semester to help our marketing students network with the business community of central Illinois.
- MIS Faculty at UIS and SIU School of medicine are involved in two research projects. One involves a large data set (1.2 million records) of sepsis patients. This project involves a multivariate predictive analysis and modeling of death from sepsis. The second research project is focused on identification of patterns of use of Electronic Health Record Systems in an ambulatory setting.
- The Chair of the Accounting Department founded and sponsors the Student Accounting Society. SAS sponsors a very successful career fair for accounting students and employers every fall and hosts at least one “firm night” each month for employers to come to campus to discuss opportunities for future graduates.
- UIS Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM) earned Superior Merit Award two years in a row (16-17, 17-18) moving up from an Honorable Mention Award the previous year. This chapter provides educational programs annually and has previously placed both 1st and 2nd at State HR Case Competitions.
- The UIS chapter of SAM (Society for the Advancement of Management) took home first place in the Open Division Collegiate Management Case Competition at the SAM National conference in Arlington, Virginia.
- Prof. Jorge Villegas has created an experiential learning opportunity leading a group of students in the development of a social marketing campaign funded by the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility ($15,000).
- Prof. Feng-Shun Bin is a pioneer in two innovative areas of scholarship: stock market reactions to legislative events by the gambling industry in the USA and other nations and StockTrak’s (a portfolio simulation) effect on learning outcomes.
- Prof. Laurel Newman is one of our most active researchers and practitioners in online education in the University of Illinois System. She is the founder and chair of the Community for Practice and Learning for E-Learning (COPE-L), a group of scholars interested in promoting and sharing best practices in online education. Prof. Newman and members of this group were recently recognized with a national award for effective practice from the Online Learning Consortium.
- Prof. Bill Kline has obtained up to $80,000 a year from a grant to fund (1) a postdoc fellow who currently teaches Business, Ethics, and Society; (2) student outreach through the Weekend Exploring Liberty and (3) Speakers at UIS addressing issues of ethics and markets.
- A recent graduate of the Accountancy program has been asked to present his capstone work on the monitoring of third party collection agencies of student debt to several regional and national conferences. He now serves as the Associate Director of the University Student Financial Services and Cashier Operations department at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign.
- The BUS department in conjunction with the Counseling Center received $15,000 from the Foundation for Advancing Alcohol Responsibility to develop a social marketing campaign targeting undergraduate students who live on campus.
- The MIS Department faculty members at UIS have served as President, and At-Large Director for the Midwest Association for Information Systems. They have also served as Program Chair, Program Co-Chair, and Program Member for the last 11 years.
- The MIS Department at UIS publishes the open access Journal of the Midwest Association for Information Systems. Professor Rassule Hadidi is the founding and Managing Editor of this journal.