The Learning Hub Policies
- Appointment Policy
- Attendance Policy
- Assignment Assistance Policy
- Cell Phone Policy
- Use of Resources Policy
- Solarium Rules
- Supervised Study Rules
To meet with a Math Tutor:
Students are limited to two, one-hour appointments per week, per class.
To meet with a Tutor from another discipline (writing, accounting, economics, computer science, science, academic skills):
Students are limited to one, one-hour appointment per week, per class.
Additional appointments may be made only with the approval of The Learning Hub’s Coordinators. If The Learning Hub is experiencing a high volume of student appointments, additional approved appointments can only be made up to one day in advance.
Graduate and doctoral students seeking assistance with theses and dissertations will be assisted by our Writing Specialists or Writing Coordinator.
If emailing us for an appointment, please use your official UIS email address, as we only communicate with students via UIS email.
The Learning Hub operates on a check system. Students receive checks for missed, cancelled, or rescheduled appointments according to the policies below. If a student earns 12 checks in a semester, he or she will be limited to making same-day appointments or seeing a tutor on a walk-in basis.
Cancellations and Reschedules
Please cancel or reschedule your appointment at least 24 hours prior to your appointment time to avoid penalty.
- If you cancel or reschedule your appointment more than one hour prior, but less than 24 hours prior, you will receive 1 check.
- If you cancel or reschedule your appointment less than one hour prior, you will receive 3 checks.
If you fail to show up for your appointment, you will receive 3 checks.
If you earn 12 checks in a semester, you will only be able to make same-day scheduled appointments, or see a tutor on a walk-in basis. This policy is strictly enforced.
- If you are more than 5 minutes late, but no more than 15 minutes late, to your appointment, you will receive 1 check.
- If you are more than 15 minutes late, but no more than 30 minutes late to your appointment, you will receive 2 checks.*
- If you are more than 30 minutes late to your appointment, you will receive 3 checks.*
*If you are more than 15 minutes late to your scheduled appointment without notification, The Learning Hub staff reserves the right to refuse services and to ask you to reschedule your appointment.
Summary of Penalties
|ACTION||No Show||5-15 Minutes Late||16-30 Minutes Late||31+ Minutes Late||Cancel or Reschedule At Least 1 Hour Before Appointment*||Cancel or Reschedule Less Than 1 Hour Before Appointment|
|CHECKS||3 Checks||1 Checks||2 Checks||3 Checks||1 Check||3 Checks|
*Cancelling or rescheduling your appointment more than 24 hours in advance results in no penalty.
The Learning Hub staff will not complete student assignments.
- Tutors will assist by asking and answering appropriate questions.
- Tutors will provide feedback, but it is up to the student to make any necessary corrections or edits.
- Tutors will not, under any circumstances, assist with take-home quizzes, exams, or extra credit.
The Learning Hub is not an editing service.
- Tutors will not simply correct/check grammar or problem sets.
- Grammar is looked at as a last priority.
- Please do not expect tutors to fix your papers or assignments for you.
- All cell phones must be stored in backpacks or purses while using Hub services. This includes appointments, workshops, SI, and supervised study time.
- If you do not have a backpack or purse with you, you may leave your cell phone (powered off) at the front desk.
- If we catch you with your phone out while using any of our Hub services, we reserve the right to end your appointment, or ask you to leave the workshop, SI session, or supervised study.
The Learning Hub reserves the right to end any tutoring session in which the tutee is not fully utilizing The Learning Hub’s resources.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Students bringing in unattempted homework, which causes the tutor to sit there as the student reviews the assignment.
- Students not actively participating in their appointment.
- Students acting disrespectful toward tutors, students, or property of The Learning Hub.
The tutor has the right to refuse to count the visit as a Required Learning Hub Visit.
Due to limited resources, The Learning Hub cannot tutor for courses taken at other institutions, and must prioritize appointments for UIS students in the UIS courses in which they are currently enrolled. If you need assistance with material outside of UIS courses you are currently taking, The Learning Hub can assist you on a walk-in basis or with a same-day appointment if available during the fall and spring semesters. Students are always welcome to seek appointments for non-class related materials when classes are not in session (winter break, spring break) or during the summer term.
This includes, but is not limited to:
- Scholarship essays
- Personal statements
- GRE prep
- Placement test prep
- Please respect this space.
- Please do not put your feet on the furniture.
- Please do not eat food while on the couches. You may have a beverage if it is in a sealed container.
- Please clean up after yourself.
- Please return any furniture to where and how you found it before you leave.
The Learning Hub reserves the right to ask you to leave if you are not utilizing this space properly.
- You must be actively studying.
- You cannot be on any websites or applications that are not related to your coursework.
- You may listen to music if it is on your computer and if you are wearing headphones and listening at a level that is not disruptive to others. However, it cannot take your full attention.
- You may not use the couches for supervised study time — only the tables and desk chairs. Only if all other seats are filled may you then use the couches.
- If you are using a laptop, you must sit so that any Hub staff member can see your screen when they walk by.
- Failure to follow these guidelines, even once, will result in you being asked to leave the supervised study, and in you not being allowed to use The Learning Hub for your supervised study hours for the rest of the semester.
- Hours must be approved in advance by the Director of Academic Support Services for Athletics.