Intensive English Program Levels
Students new to IEP takes a placement exam upon arrival. This tests a student’s reading, writing, and listening comprehension. Level placement is determined at that time.
We offer six levels:
- Level 1 – Low Beginner
- Level 2 – High Beginner
- Level 3 – Low Intermediate
- Level 4 – High Intermediate
- Level 5 – Low Advanced
- Level 6 – High Advanced
- Each level is 8-weeks during Fall and Spring sessions, and 8-weeks during Summer session
- Each level includes core courses in reading, writing, speaking & listening, and grammar
- The program also offers a U.S. Culture class that meets once a week for one contact hour
- Students advance to the next level dependent upon final course grades (C or better) and teacher recommendations
- At the end of levels 5 and 6 students take the program administered exit exam to gain admission to degree programs. Level 4 students may be eligible to test depending on grades and teachers’ recommendations.
- Preparation Material for the iTEP
Note: IEP students who wish to be considered for a UIS degree program must meet the English proficiency requirement(s) specific to their program.