About the Program
The Intensive English Program (IEP) is designed for people whose native language is not English.
Our mission is to help our students reach personal and academic goals:
- We provide our students with language skills for academic success at UIS and beyond.
- We support UIS faculty and staff who work with non-native English speakers.
- We welcome non-native speakers who are not enrolled in a degree-seeking program at UIS.
- English-language assessment exams (see below)
- Two ways (intensive & non-intensive) to learn and/or enhance English language skills in our academic courses
- Conversation practice outside of the classroom
- Individual consultations with our expert ESL staff
- IEP Placement Exam for new IEP students to determine placement in the Intensive English Program
- English Proficiency Exam for students to gain admission to a degree program at UIS