Declaring a Major

You probably indicated a possible major when you applied to UIS. Your major discipline shows on your Degree Audit Reports (DARS). At the point when you determine what you want to major in, you must formally declare your major choice. Students wishing to change their major must consult with their advisor.

Your advisor will walk you through the Change of Curriculum form that must be completed, signed, and submitted to the Registrar’s Office for recording. Once your major choice is officially recorded, your major program will be notified and you will be assigned a faculty advisor in that program. You and your advisor will also complete a Transition to Major form to let your faculty advisor know which General Education and major prerequisite and core courses you have already completed. Your faculty advisor will continue to guide you through your collegiate career and graduation.

All UIS student must have an officially recorded major choice by the time they complete 72 credits hours. Schedule a meeting with your advisor for assistance choosing a major. The Career Development Center also has resources including assessment and aptitude inventories to enhance your exploration.