Career Bytes Conference
This is the theme of the third annual Career Bytes Conference. The Career Development Center understands that students are challenged with connecting their academic experiences to the demands of the competitive global workplace. It can be overwhelming and time-consuming. This Career Conference provides an opportunity for students to gain the required “know how” in a concentrated, customizable forum in one afternoon.
The Career Bytes Conference will offer tracks focused on understanding what employers are looking for when hiring, internship/job search strategies, interviewing, business/career planning, identifying and marketing the value of you, as well as cultivating a professional network with muscle. A Networking & Buffet Lunch will be provided for students, alumni and employers attending.
Tejesh Morla currently serves as Principal of Technology Practice at Omniskope Inc., a growing IT consulting company specializing in helping clients implement and maintain premium Oracle ERP and Salesforce CRM solutions. He has over 10 years of experience working in the IT industry, building and customizing some of the world’s top enterprise software solutions across a variety of areas ranging from human resources and finance to supply chain and customer relationship management.
Originally from India, Tejesh received a Bachelor’s of Technology degree from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) and was a former professional cricket player representing the South Indian state of Andhra Pradesh. Additionally, he served as captain of his college cricket team. Mr. Morla moved to the United States in 2008 to pursue a master’s degree in Computer Science here at the University of Illinois Springfield (UIS). He graduated with honors in 2010.
While at UIS, Tejesh worked as a Graduate Assistant in Information Technology Services (ITS) and participated in a Sun Micro Systems international IT contest where he placed second (during Fall 2008). He also served as the President of the Indian Student Organization 2009-10.
Tejesh is happily married, and currently living in St. Louis, Missouri. When he is not thinking about the next big project or striving to be on top of the latest market changes and innovative technology solutions, he can be found exploring local coffee shops & eateries and working out in the gym.
Students (In-Person & Online): Register for the Conference (2 Options)
- Go to CareerConnect and click on the “Events” tab*Online Students MUST register on CareerConnect – Select the Online Participant Option
- Go to the Career Development Center page on UIS Connection and select “RSVP to Event.”
If you need any assistance registering feel free to reach out to the Career Development Center at (217) 206-6508 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alumni, Employer, Faculty & Staff Guests:
The Career Development Center welcomes your participation in the Networking and Buffet Lunch at the Career Bytes Conference.
Please RSVP here to attend the Buffet Lunch & Networking Event
11:00-11:45 AM Welcome/Keynote Address – Tejesh Morla, UIS Alum – (Studio Theatre)
- Interviewer: Suparna Banerjee*, CS ‘19
12:00-1:00 PM Buffet lunch and Networking (PAC Conference Room C/D)
1:05–1:50 PM Breakout Session 1: Select from 2 options
1. Craft Your Pitch: Business Planning and Strategizing (PAC G)
|Panelists:||Bruce Sommer, UIS Center for Entrepreneurship
Katie Davidson, Innovate Springfield
Benjamin Burger*, GPSI, DoIT, Burger Technologies
- Learn about Innovate Springfield (iSPI) Hub and Illinois Innovation Network (IIN), which serves as nodes to support the strategic initiatives of 1) learning and scholarship; 2) entrepreneurship and economic development; and 3) public policy and social innovation.
- Gain insight into how entrepreneurial concepts apply to your career whether you are considering starting your own business or being a “social scholar and intrapreneur” within an existing organization at UIS or beyond.
2. Prepare Today, Perform Tomorrow: Skills & Experiences Employers Seek in New Talent (PAC H)
|Panelists:||Joel Borcherding**, State Farm
Caryn Carmean**, Horace Mann
Janice Hall, CEFCU
Jennifer Kelly**, Crowe LLP
Bruce Selway, Illinois Dept. of Innovation and Technology (DoIT)
- Hear from a panel of local professionals who will be able to provide insight into the hiring process and different workplace environments.
- Learn about skills and qualities you can work to develop now to help you be a valuable contributor to a future workplace.
2:00–2:45 PM Breakout Session 2: Select from 2 options
1. Crack the Case. Ace the Interview. (PAC G)
|Panelists:||Caryn Carmean**, Horace Mann
Eric Guthrie, Memorial Health System
Sam Ganci**, Marucco, Stoddard, Ferenbach & Walsh, Inc. (MSF&W)
- Learn how to approach a case interview —ready to use your imagination, gather and analyze information, arrive at solid conclusions, and communicate persuasively.
- Prepare how to create and market the value of you and customize the What + How + Why of your skills.
2. Connecting Conferences and Competitions to Your Career Success (PAC H)
|Panelists:||Kazim Abbott**, ADM
Tim Robert**, State Farm
Tejesh Morla**, Omniskope, Inc.
Adella Nguyen*, MBA Student
- Gain an understanding of how to leverage soft and hard skills from conferences and competitions and translate to career success.
2:55-3:15 PM Career Bits – Round Table Mini Sessions (10 minutes) – (PAC C/D)
Roundtable Topics include: (maximum of 5 session topics will be chosen)
- NACE Career Readiness Competencies (Critical Thinking/Problem Solving, Oral/Written Communications, Teamwork/Collaboration, Digital Technology, Leadership, Professionalism/Work Ethic, Career Management, and Global/Intercultural Fluency).
- Discussion Leaders:Angela Evans** & Rose Oston, Career Development Center
Students: Himanshi Makhija* MBA ‘19, Kia Jones* COM ‘20, Irene Dinh* ACC ‘19, Adella Nguyen* MBA ‘19, Oluseyi Elliott* MIS ‘18
3:15–3:30 PM Cookies, Conversation, and Conference Wrap-Up – Students will receive a portfolio upon completing an evaluation. (PAC C/D)