The Recreation and Athletic Center General Building/Conduct Policies
THE RECREATION AND ATHLETIC CENTER GENERAL BUILDING/CONDUCT POLICIES
- A valid UIS icard is required for entrance into TRAC. Any individual without a valid UIS icard but who has been verified as an eligible Rec Member may be denied entrance after several instances.
- Equipment cannot be checked out without a valid UIS icard.
- Dress code:
Appropriate attire must cover the chest and buttocks in all areas of the facility.
- Athletic (non-marking) shoes are required for recreational activities – metal on the bottom of any footwear is prohibited in all facilities (spikes, taps, etc.) and no sandals, backless or open-toe shoes are allowed during activities. An exception is when lifting on a platform and group exercise classes such as yoga.
- Campus Recreation staff has final say in determining appropriate clothing.
- Personal training by individuals other than Campus Recreation or Intercollegiate Athletics Staff is prohibited in The Recreation and Athletic Center (TRAC). Contact Campus Recreation to inquire about personal training packages or to become a personal trainer.
- Only water and sports drinks in a plastic, closed-top container are allowed in Fitness Areas. No glass items are allowed.
- The Department of Campus Recreation does not support, approve, or allow the use of supplements and/or additives in TRAC. Individuals are not allowed to solicit or sell supplements and/or additives in Campus Recreation facilities or grounds.
- Use of or consumption of alcohol is prohibited (except at approved events).
- Tobacco use is prohibited.
- Illegal and controlled substances are not permitted.
- The use of video & photographic equipment (including camera on phones) is prohibited in TRAC unless approved by the Department of Campus Recreation or Athletics staff.
- The use of cell phones for phone calls while on equipment is prohibited. This becomes a distraction and safety hazard, and can disturb other patrons.
- Disruptive Behavior: Anyone who is disruptive while using Campus Recreation facilities or during activities sponsored by Campus Recreation or Athletics may be asked to leave. Violators may lose their usage privileges.
- Please use a gym wipe after completed workout on equipment used.
- Re-rack weights after each use.
- Any person damaging fixtures, equipment, or other property of TRAC may be charged the cost of repair and replacement with the approval of the Director of Campus Recreation.
- Bouncing or kicking balls is not permitted in the hallways (carpet floor) or Hoogland Atrium.
- Children must be supervised by parents/guardians at all times. Children must be 14 years of age to use fitness equipment and must be with a UIS TRAC member (over the age of 18) who pays the guest fee and signs the waiver.
- Anyone can use the arena if space allows, although a child must be supervised by an adult (18 and older)
- Sparring-type activities are permitted only during supervised marital arts and self-defense activities in the designated area. Protective equipment is highly recommended.
- Purses, backpacks, gym bags, umbrellas, and other personal items must be stored in a locker. Locks are available for checkout at the Front Desk for free. UIS and the Department of Campus Recreation is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged property.
- TRAC is a service facility for Rec Members and their guests. It is not a public funded facility and therefore not open to the general public. $5 day passes are available for purchase for guests of UIS Recreation Members.
- Posting of all materials in TRAC shall be limited to items related to university business that assists the university mission. Individuals wishing to post materials will give to the Campus Recreation staff and flyers will then be posted by the department professional staff members in the appropriate locations.
- Solicitation: Student groups on campus may use TRAC for solicitation with the approval from the Director of Campus Recreation.
- Lost & found items will be kept by Campus Recreation for 30 days.
- Personal music is not permitted unless used with headphones. Music is provided in appropriate areas and is monitored by Campus Recreation.
- Bicycles, skateboards, roller blades, and shoes with wheels are not allowed to be used in the building.
- Animals are not allowed in TRAC, unless it is a registered service animal. (Emotional Support Animals are not allowed in TRAC)
- The Director of Campus Recreation will approve shutting down TRAC due to weather related conditions.
FITNESS AREAS 1, 2, and 3:
- Collars must be used on all free weights.
- Free weights can be taken to the second floor, but must be returned to the first floor.
- Please do not drop dumbbells or free weights on the floor.
- Chalk may not be used.
- Shoes and appropriate shirts/shorts must be worn at all times in the fitness center. You may take off your shoes in a designated group fitness class or if performing a deadlift or squatting.
- Throwing or hitting of baseballs and softballs in the arena is prohibited. Approved low trajectory, indoor soccer ball may be used.
- No climbing on bleachers or hanging on rims or nets.
- Please contact the Front Desk for assistance with set up or take down of nets, poles, bleachers, etc.
- Shoes and appropriate shirts/shorts must be worn at all times in the arena.
- It is highly recommended that eye protection is worn when playing racquetball or squash.
- All racquets must have a guard.
- Throwing or kicking of baseballs, softballs, soccer balls, and footballs are prohibited.
- Racquet sport participants can bring their own projectiles (i.e. racquetballs, squash balls, handballs, etc.) or they can be checked out at the Front Desk for free.
- Please contact the Front Desk for assistance to move the walls or set up equipment.
- The stereo equipment is to be operated only by Campus Recreation staff and/or UIS Athletics staff.
- Please see the Front Desk for assistance to help with overhead projector and screen.
- Patrons should not enter the room during scheduled classes/events. MPR may be reserved through UIS Connection or contacting the front desk.
- Sparring-type activities are permitted only during supervised martial arts and self-defense activities. Protective equipment is highly recommended.
- Shoes must be worn at all times except during approved classes instructed by Campus Recreation Staff.
We reserve the right to deny facility use to anyone who refuses to comply with the above policies.