About the Department
Welcome to the Biology Department
A degree in Biology can open doors to many interesting and exciting careers. At UIS, the Biology degree is a hands-on process: students work directly with the equipment and learn through a balanced curriculum that strengthens both intellectual and practical skills.
Students actively participate in research through faculty research interests in molecular, cellular, and organismal biology. Scientific facilities available to students include a new, well-equipped building with research laboratories. Because UIS is located in the state capital of Illinois, there are many opportunities for internships that help students gain valuable on-the-job experience.
Our students are prepared for further training in biology—including medical and other professional schools—and for careers in biology in the public and private sectors. UIS offers a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology
Upon graduating from UIS with a bachelor degree, students will be able to:
- Design and conduct a scientific study to investigate biological systems;
- Articulate and apply the concepts of cellular biology, organismal biology, ecology and evolution;
- Explain the molecular basis of heredity and the processes of biological evolution;
- Integrate the knowledge they have obtained across their biology vousrework to address applied issues and
- Communicate effectively in written and oral scientific formats.