Description of Responsibilities
The UIS Alumni Board serves as a voice for alumni. Volunteer leaders provide guidance on how the university can continue to engage and serve its alumni, while also serving as ambassadors and advocates for UIS in their communities.
The UIS Alumni Board will play an important role in the rollout of the rebranded UIS Alumni Association in 2021. The UIS Alumni Board authored the Association’s mission, vision and values in 2019; and will be identifying the benefits and services of the organization.
The UIS Alumni Board currently has the following operating committees: Executive, Nominating, Awards and UI Board of Trustees Identification. Ad-hoc committees can also be instituted to address a specific effort or need; and board members are often asked to participate in legislative advocacy and support fundraising activity.
General expectations of UIS Alumni Board members are:
- Actively participate in all regularly scheduled meetings of the full alumni board. The full board normally meets three times per year. * All board meetings and committee work have virtual participation options.
- Actively serve on one or more committees. Committees meet between full board meetings, approximately 2-4 times per year, per committee.
- Offer ideas to help make the alumni board and Alumni Association more meaningful to alumni.
- Serve as an ambassador and advocate for the university. Encourage other alumni to engage with and support the university.
- Become a member of the Illinois Connection Legislative Advocacy Network.
- Make a financial contribution annually in support of university programs.
- Stay up-to-date on programs, activities and news related to UIS and other universities in the U of I System.
- Sign and return a volunteer confidentiality agreement, and practice confidentiality with sensitive information shared during board and committee meetings.
Membership of the Board
The UIS Alumni Board consists of up to twenty-five voting members. This includes one current student, who is considered a full, voting member. Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to serve. The UIS Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Advancement and Associate Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations serve as ex officio members.
Members of the UIS Alumni Board are elected to serve two-year terms. Terms can be renewed up to three consecutive times. Dependent upon the student’s academic progress, the student member often serves a one-year term, which can be renewed for additional terms as matriculation occurs.
Alumni who have graduated or completed coursework from the University of Illinois Springfield/Sangamon State University, regardless of race, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation including gender identity, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a protected veteran, are eligible to become members of the UIS Alumni Board.
Though not required to nominate, part of the nominee review process will include a nominee’s previous volunteer engagement and/or support of the University.
University of Illinois System: https://www.uillinois.edu/
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign: https://illinois.edu/
University of Illinois Chicago: https://www.uic.edu/
Current Board Members
- Chair: Rikeesha Phelon ’99 PAA, MA ’05 LAS
- Vice-Chair: Carly Hawkins ’05 PAA
- Secretary: John Lowder ’94 PAA
- Immediate Past Chair: Thom Serafin ’73 LAS, MA ’91 PAA
- Richard Berning MA ’75 PAA
- Brian Cross ’95 PAA
- Priyanka Deo ’10 PAA
- Tina Buck Harth ’13 LAS
- Ronda Guyton ’04 PAA
- Nina Harris ’91 CBM, MPA ‘98 PAA
- Karen Hasara ’72 LAS, MA ’92 PAA
- Jamaal Hollins ’14 LAS
- Julie Kellner ’86 CBM
- Matthew Mayer ’98 PAA
- Joyce Nardulli ’84 LAS
- Kyle Simpson ’08 PAA
- Deborah Thompson ’93 CBM, MA ’98 LAS
- Randy Witter MPA ’82 PAA
- Karen M. Whitney, Ed.D., Interim Chancellor
- Jeffrey D. Lorber, Ed.D., UIS Vice Chancellor for Advancement & Sr. Vice President, UIF
- Charles J. Schrage MA ’05 PAA, Associate Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations
Current board members last updated: 8/12/2020