In 2021, the UIS Alumni Board played a key role in formally introducing the UIS Alumni Association. The UIS Alumni Board also recently set the mission of the organization as “To inspire lifelong loyalty, pride and united action through networking, advocacy, support and continuing education.” The vision of the organization is “To be a catalyst for change and growth in the lives of alumni and in the future of the University.”
The UIS Alumni Board currently has the following operating committees: Executive, Nominating, Awards and UI Board of Trustees Identification. Ad-hoc committees can also be instituted to address a specific effort or need; and board members are often asked to participate in legislative advocacy and support fundraising activity.
Membership of the Board
The UIS Alumni Board consists of up to twenty-five voting members. This includes one current student, who is considered a full, voting member. The UIS Chancellor, Vice Chancellor for Advancement and Associate Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations serve as ex officio members.
Members of the UIS Alumni Board are elected to serve two-year terms. Terms can be renewed up to three consecutive times. Dependent upon the student’s academic progress, the student member often serves a one-year term, which can be renewed for additional terms as matriculation occurs.
Alumni who have graduated or completed coursework from the University of Illinois Springfield/Sangamon State University, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, order of protection status, genetic information, marital status, disability, sexual orientation including gender identity, unfavorable discharge from the military or status as a protected veteran, are eligible to become members of the UIS Alumni Board.
Though not required to nominate, part of the nominee review process will include a nominee’s previous volunteer engagement and/or support of the University.
Current Board Members
- Chair: Rikeesha Phelon ’99 PAA, MA ’05 LAS
- Vice-Chair: Carly Hawkins ’05 PAA
- Secretary: John Lowder ’94 PAA
- Immediate Past Chair: Thom Serafin ’73 LAS, MA ’91 PAA
- Richard Berning MA ’75 PAA
- Brian Cross ’95 PAA
- Allison Dokey '12 LAS, MA '15 EHS
- Kylie Gilmore '17 CBM, MA '19 LAS
- Ronda Guyton ’04 PAA
- Tina Buck Harth ’13 LAS
- Karen Hasara ’72 LAS, MA ’92 PAA
- Jamaal Hollins ’14 LAS
- Julie Kellner ’86 CBM
- Lisbeth Leanos '13 PAA
- Matthew Mayer ’98 PAA
- Joyce Nardulli ’84 LAS
- Jay Reyes '97 PAA
- Rashaad Robinson '13 CBM
- Kyle Simpson ’08 PAA
- Debbie Thompson ’93 CBM, MA ’98 LAS
- John Tienken '13 PAA, LAS
- Gaurav Walia MS '97 LAS
- Randy Witter MPA ’82 PAA
- Student Representative: Collin Moseley '22 PAA
- Karen M. Whitney, Ed.D., Interim Chancellor
- Jeffrey D. Lorber, Ed.D., UIS Vice Chancellor for Advancement & Sr. Vice President, UIF
- Charles J. Schrage MA ’05 PAA, Associate Vice Chancellor for Alumni Relations
Current board members last updated: 8/23/2021