Reaching Stellar: Celebrating Mary Beaumont
Mary Beaumont, UIS Alum and Donor
Mary Beaumont MA ’89 LAS graduated from UIS (then Sangamon State) in 1989 with a master’s degree in communication. She recently made a generous gift in her will to support scholarships.
The bequest reflects a lifelong commitment to education. Mary has spent many hours volunteering in the Springfield area, usually related in some way to education. And this is not her first gift to scholarships. She and her husband Jim (now deceased) covered their two passions by endowing first a scholarship for women returning to college and then another for Public Affairs Reporting students. Jim’s career was in journalism.
Mary has placed no restrictions in her will on what kinds of students will receive her scholarship. “I don’t know what the future is going to be like,” she says, “so I chose to respect that the University will know how best to give out the scholarships. As long as my gift is going directly to students, I’m pleased with that.”
Mary’s Top 5 Reasons for Supporting Scholarships
- Opportunity: “Anyone who wants to go to college should have the opportunity to do so. If they have the drive and the desire then we need to make it easier for them to attend.”
- Direct impact: “Universities have many different needs, but I chose scholarships because I love having a direct impact on individual students.”
- Outside-the-book learning: “Education comes in many forms. There’s getting to know other people, having new experiences, and other learning outside the books. Scholarships make it a little easier for students to enjoy their years in college and get the most out of those years.”
- Scholarship luncheons: “I so enjoy meeting the scholarship recipients! It’s exciting to see their enthusiasm for life and hear about the goals they aspire to. It makes me feel good to be part of it.”
- Hope: “We hear so many negative things these days. Meeting the students gives me so much hope. They are so positive!”
Would you also like to support scholarships?
You can find information on how you can create a scholarship here and information on planned giving here. You can also make a gift in any amount to the UIS Scholarship Fund, which combines your gift with the gifts of other generous donors to create multiple scholarships. Thank you!