Graduate International Applicants
Whether you are returning to education from the marketplace or your looking to advance yourself before you head out into the world, we are here for you. You are ambitious…and you’ve got questions! We are here to help you sort them out!
Who can Apply?
How to Apply?
When are the Deadlines?
How much does a degree at UIS cost?
Does my university partner with UIS?
Are there scholarship options?
Do I qualify for in-state tuition?
Can I complete my degree online from my home country?
Are there specific admissions requirements for my program?
How do I get an I-20?
What’s life like as a student on campus at UIS?
What if my question is not here?
Any international student who has graduated from college/university with a desire to begin a graduate program at the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- You must have graduated from a college or university.
- You must comply with the standard admission requirements for graduate applicants.
- You must meet our English Proficiency Admission Requirements.
Please follow this list to accomplish admission requirements
- Complete the Online Admissions Application
- Personal and Academic Statement
- Personal Statement – This is an applicant’s chance to tell us about themselves. Describe interests and accomplishments which are not indicated elsewhere on the application.
- Academic Statement – Tell us more about professional aspiration, intellectual interests, and personal experiences relevant to the choice of a specific academic program at the University of Illinois at Springfield.
- $75 USD non-refundable application fee
- Payable to the University of Illinois at Springfield
- Students should pay online when completing the application.
- Important: DO not submit fees in cash or via wire.
- The University of Illinois Springfield requires Official university envelope-sealed transcripts, or attested academic records, in order to issue admissions decisions. Applicants to the University of Illinois at Springfield (UIS) on or after July 1, 2019, that have international academic records must arrange (at their expense) to have their record(s) evaluated by a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member organization.
- Please refer to this transcript document for information on obtaining an NACES member articulation.
- UIS will also require an attested copy of a student’s final degree certificate.
- Grade/Mark sheets, or attested copies reflecting dates of attendance (month +year), classes, grades, rank and graduation (Required for ALL high schools and post-secondary education)
- Originals or certified copies must accompany an evaluation
- Transcripts must be in English or Translated to English
- Official English proficiency score – Applicants whose native language is not English must meet the UIS English Proficiency Admission Requirements:
Test/Method Score iTEP Academic Plus Level 4.5 Successful completion of UIS’ IEP + iTEP
(iTEP must be taken within 6 months of
completing the IEP to allow this score.
Not available for Fall 19 and beyond.)
4.0 TOEFL 79 iBT IELTS 6.0 Pearson Test of English 65 UIS-Administered English Admissions Exam 77 ELS Level 112 Obtained a U.S. bachelor degree or higher GPA of 2.50 or better on a 4.00 scale
In some cases, the English requirement may be waived, please see our requirements. Applicants who do not meet these requirements may be eligible for Conditional Admission. Additionally, applicants who do not satisfy these requirements are encouraged to participate in UIS’ Intensive English Program. Note: All score reports or transcripts must be official. Some programs may have higher English Proficiency requirements.
- Required Health Records (only for on-campus students)
- You are required to submit a completed Pre-Enrollment Health Record form which includes vaccination history.
- Students who are not U.S. citizens must have a tuberculin skin test done at the Campus Health Service office on arrival and prior to registering.
- If the test is positive, you will be required to have a chest x-ray. International students who have had a positive tuberculin skin test in the past are required to bring a statement from the health care provider who performed the test, giving the date of the test and the size of the induration in millimeters.
- You will be required to have a chest x-ray when you arrive on campus. All medical records must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
- Fall (August) Semester: June 1
- Spring (January) Semester: November 1
- Summer admission is not encouraged due to the limited availability of on-campus courses.
Prices for programs vary from program to program. You cost will also differ if you come to study on campus or online. Please refer to our online cost calculator as an estimate of course fees. Your tuition costs are fixed for the completion of your degree at UIS. You will not need to worry about prices changing over your time with us.
Here is a link to our International Articulation Agreements. We are always looking to build new partnerships around the world!
Yes! There are a number of possibilities for you. Follow the links for more information. (*not available for online students)
UIS Scholarship Options:
• UIS Institutional Scholarship
Once Admissions receives your materials, the International Student Services Department issues your I-20. Please refer to the Initial Form I-20 website for more information about what actions you will need to take in order to receive your I-20.
Under most circumstances, international students will not qualify for in-state tuition. Please refer to the Academic Programs and Services website for more information. Please note that there is no tuition differential for students who are domestic or abroad for online degrees.
Not all of our programs are available online. Browse through our list of online degrees to find your desired degree program. If it’s available, you can take it from the comfort of your hometown, from all the way on the other side of the globe. Of those Online programs, only the Management Information Systems program is currently unavailable for international students abroad to enroll.
Please refer to our list of all UIS degrees.
Please visit our Life at the University of Illinois Springfield page for more information.
Anna Bradford, International Admissions Counselor