Policy for Facial Coverings, Social Distancing, and COVID-19 Testing – Summer 2021
The use of face coverings, social distancing, and testing paired with the wide availability of safe, effective vaccines has allowed UIS students, faculty and staff to prioritize their health and safety for on-campus operations during the COVID-19 pandemic. At this stage in the pandemic, UIS is prepared to further relax United in Safety guidelines for fully vaccinated individuals; however, UIS continues to support individuals who make the personal decision to continue to use face coverings, practice social distancing and/or participate in testing, even if fully vaccinated.
For Students, Faculty and Staff who are Fully Vaccinated
In alignment with recommendations from federal, state and local health authorities, UIS students, faculty and staff who are fully vaccinated and upload documentation verifying their vaccination status to their Medicat account are not required to wear a face covering or social distance indoors or outdoors on UIS property or as part of university-sanctioned events effective June 16, 2021, except in certain settings (see below). An individual is considered fully vaccinated with an FDA-authorized vaccination (Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson), and it has been two weeks or more since receiving their final dose of vaccine.
Additionally, UIS students, faculty and staff who are fully vaccinated are not required to participate in COVID-19 testing as long as they have uploaded a copy of their vaccination card to their Medicat record confirming they are fully vaccinated.
Fully vaccinated individuals have the option to continue to wear a face covering and social distance, as well as participate in COVID-19 testing, if they so choose, and their decision will be supported.
For Students, Faculty and Staff who are NOT Fully Vaccinated
Students, faculty and staff who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear a face covering, social distance and participate in weekly COVID-19 testing in alignment with United in Safety guidelines.
Dishonesty with following this policy will be addressed as a student code of conduct violation by the Dean of Students Office or an employee disciplinary issue by the Office of Human Resources.
For Campus Guests
Guests who are fully vaccinated are not required to wear a face covering or social distance indoors and outdoors except in designated spaces on campus (see below). Guests who are not fully vaccinated must wear a face covering and social distance indoors at all times and outdoors when six feet of distance from others is not feasible. Failure to comply may result in the individual being asked to leave the premises and may also be restricted from returning.
- Instructional Spaces. All individuals regardless of vaccination status must wear a face covering and social distance in instructional spaces for the Summer 2021 term. Summer instructors who are fully vaccinated have the option to request a one-time review of their class roster to determine if every student is fully vaccinated; if so, the class will be allowed to meet without face coverings or social distancing. Requests should be submitted directly to Bethany Bilyeu, UIS executive director of Student Support Services, and include the UIN of students in the course. Information will be reported in the aggregate and will not include the vaccination status of individual students.
- Health-care Settings. All individuals regardless of vaccination status, must wear a face covering in health-care delivery spaces, including the UIS COVID-19 Testing Area and UIS Health Services. Signage should be posted accordingly.
- Child-care Settings. Cox Child Care Center, in accordance with IDPH guidance, will continue to require face coverings for all individuals regardless of vaccination status. This includes employees, children older than 2, guardians who pick up/drop off children and delivery persons. Signage should be posted accordingly.
- Youth camps. UIS staff and volunteers running youth summer camps who are fully vaccinated, and camp participants who are fully vaccinated, are not required to wear face coverings indoors or outdoors. UIS staff, volunteers and camp participants who are not fully vaccinated must wear face coverings (1) indoors at all times and (2) outdoors if unable to physically distance and not actively engaged in the sports activity.
- Travel. Masks are required for both vaccinated and unvaccinated students, faculty and staff using public transportation in accordance with local, state and federal guidelines. Fully vaccinated students, faculty and staff are not required to wear a face covering as part of UIS-sponsored travel unless required by state, local or federal guidance; whereas students, faculty and staff who are not fully vaccinated must continue to wear face coverings when traveling.
To ensure clarity and consistency in behaviors on campus, individual unit managers or faculty may not determine their own exceptions to this policy without permission from the UIS COVID-19 Rapid Response Team.
Date approval recommended by Chancellor’s Cabinet: June 15, 2021
Date approved by Chancellor: June 15, 2021
Effective date: June 16, 2021