Mission – Vision – Values
UIS community members are invited to share perspectives and offer comments on the draft Mission, Vision, and Values statements developed by Strategic Compass Steering Committee (SCSC) subcommittees. The statements will be posted on this page at the conclusion of the first Listening Session on October 24.
The mission of the University of Illinois Springfield is to transform lives by providing a premier educational experience that engages learners through student centered teaching, research, and impactful public and community service.
UIS will be a catalyst for change, a beacon of hope, and a space of unlimited possibilities where learners become ethical and passionate scholars, leaders, and citizens capable of transforming their communities in Illinois and beyond.
- Student-focused: Student development is at the core of all university activities, fostered through a close connection between faculty, staff, and students.
- Respect and Integrity: We value honesty, ethical behavior, and professionalism.
- Diversity and Inclusion: Diversity, in its many forms, enables the dignity of all to flourish, fosters an inclusive culture, meets the specialized needs of diverse people, and recognizes the various contributions multiple stakeholders bring to campus life.
- Community Connected: Pursue and expand mutually beneficial relationships with the wider community.
- Forward-Thinking: We are a proactive institution, agile and committed to creativity and innovation.
- Strategic Decision-Making – We strive for continuous improvement, reflecting the goals and values of the institution, utilizing integrated, proactive and transparent processes.
- Accountability: We are committed to translating intentions into actions and fostering trust within the university and wider community, holding ourselves responsible to our students, colleagues, and stakeholders.
- Fiscal Health – We are committed to sound stewardship and development of resources entrusted to the university.
Four listening sessions are planned for the UIS community:
- Wednesday, October 24, 3:30-5:00 pm, Brookens Auditorium
- Monday, October 29, 8:30-10:00 am, Brookens Auditorium
- Tuesday, October 30, 2:30-4:00 pm, UHB 2008
- Thursday, November 1, 11:00 am-12:30 pm, Brookens Auditorium
Other Opportunities to Participate
In addition to the four Listening Sessions, SCSC co-chairs Dennis Papini and Jorge Villegas will share the draft statements and invite comments from UIS students at the November 4, 6:00 pm Student Government Association meeting.
Individuals who are unable to attend one of the sessions above or who might prefer to offer more extensive comments may participate in an anonymous online survey. The survey will remain open until November 2 at 5:00 pm. Comments will then be shared with the Mission, Vision, and Values subcommittees.