Special Written Agreement Template – COVID-19
SPECIAL WRITTEN AGREEMENT REGARDING TENURE
DUE TO COVID-19 PANDEMIC
The purpose of the document is to reflect the understanding and agreement entered into between <faculty name> and The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois, University of Illinois at Springfield, College of <college>, Department of <dept>, with respect to the rights of said <faculty name> pursuant to the provisions of Section 1 of Article X of the University of Illinois Statutes.
It is understood and agreed between the parties as follows:
- <faculty name> was first employed as an <first rank> on <TTT start date> and has continued employment with The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois, University of Illinois at Springfield, College of <college>, Department of <dept> to the present time.
- Effective <TTT start date>, <faculty name> was appointed on a <contract type> (note: e.g., six-year probationary) contract and was scheduled for tenure review in Academic Year <tenure year>.
- Due to Executive Order 2020-10, issued by Illinois Governor Pritzker in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the faculty member’s ability to make progress toward promotion and indefinite tenure has been substantially impaired as contemplated in UIS Faculty Personnel Policy, Article 7, Section 3.C. under circumstances beyond the control of the faculty member.
- Parties hereto agree that the facts outlined above constitute “unusual circumstances” in the meaning of Section 1(a) of Article X of the University of Illinois Statutes, warranting the execution of a Special Written Agreement Regarding Tenure.
- As a result of the said unusual circumstances, the Parties hereby stipulate and agree that <faculty name>’s contract shall be changed to indicate the revised tenure review year will be Academic Year <new tenure year>.
- Parties further hereto understand that the agreement shall not be effective until signed by the Chancellor upon authority delegated by the President of the University of Illinois, and the agreement and extension of <faculty name>’s probationary period in no way indicates that indefinite tenure will be awarded during or at the end of that extended period, or that her employment will continue until the end of that probationary period.
Approvals via the “sign and submit” box on the user-authenticated online UIS Tenure Rollback Request form, on the dates captured by the form.
- Faculty Member
- College Dean
- Dennis R. Papini, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs & Provost
Form Reviewed and Approved by Office of University Counsel
Rhonda R. Perry, Campus Legal Counsel March 25, 2020