COVID-19 Plan for faculty personnel, course evaluation, and search processes
Following up on the Chancellor’s March 15 communication, the Provost’s Office will implement the measures below to achieve social distancing, accommodate remote-taught courses, and ensure personnel processes move forward according to the established timeline.
Personnel File Documents
The Faculty Files Custodian will continue to add documents to electronic back-up and paper personnel files, and she will grant faculty time-limited access to their (digital) files upon request. Faculty may submit documents electronically: via email to email@example.com, or via PEAR (the Protected Email Attachment Repository) to Alicia Utterback with cc to Monica Kroft.
Digital files will be made available to personnel committees and other reviewers (Deans, VCAA/Provost, Chancellor) via confidential Box folders, with access logged and granted on a time-limited basis, for:
- Tenure and Promotion personnel files & portfolios – all that remains is review by Chancellor
- Promotion personnel files & portfolios – all that remains is review by Chancellor
- Two-Year Reappointment personnel files & portfolios – all that remains is review by Deans, VCAA/Provost. Any candidate who wishes to access their personnel file in order to write a response to a review will be provided access through special arrangement.
- Four-Year Reappointment personnel files & portfolios – all that remains is review by Deans, VCAA/Provost. Any candidate who wishes to access their personnel file in order to write a response to a review will be provided access through special arrangement.
- Annual Performance Review (APR) – this issue will be addressed in a separate communication.
The Faculty Files Reading Room will be closed except by special arrangements.
Standard course evaluations will be administered online for remote-taught and online courses. Faculty will receive the course evaluation link on April 13, 2020. The link can be shared with students in a Blackboard email or announcement, or by other means.
Faculty delivering synchronous courses may choose to use class time for students to log in and record their course evaluation responses, in much the same way that paper evaluations have been administered in past semesters. The evaluation link will remain active until 11:59 pm on May 2, 2020. Link to tips for increasing student participation in course evaluations.
Faculty will be notified via email when course evaluation reports are available, after final grades have been submitted.
NOTE: The administration and union will bargain the impact of COVID-19 with regards to whether and/or how evaluations from this semester will be used in subsequent evaluations.
Electronic notifications for tenure, promotion, reappointment, etc. will be delivered securely through the PEAR system. Hard copies will also be sent via campus mail.
Faculty search committees should proceed. We will need to arrange virtual interviews with finalists, rather than asking finalists to travel to UIS for the foreseeable future. Virtual interviews will be synchronous and may not be recorded.