COVID 19 APRs for Spring 2020
Annual Performance Reviews (APR)
The Provost’s Office will implement the measures below to achieve social distancing while ensuring that personnel processes move forward according to the timeline where possible, and in a manner that protects the integrity of the process and the confidentiality of the review and personnel materials. For most of the processes, the timeline will remain unaltered; in the case of Annual Performance Review (APR) reviews, however, some colleges will need to adjust timelines to allow for review of faculty materials and deliberation.
As a reminder: faculty personnel materials, including APRs, are confidential materials and should not be shared over email, or downloaded to personal or work computers
- Personnel File Documents: The Faculty Files Custodian will make documents available to personnel committees and other reviewers (Deans, VCAA/Provost, Chancellor) via confidential Box folders, with access logged and granted on a time-limited basis, for:
- Tenure and Promotion personnel files & portfolios – this has been completed
- Promotion personnel files & portfolios – this has been completed
- Two-Year Reappointment files & portfolios – all that remains is review by Dean and VCAA/Provost. Any candidate who wishes to access their personnel file in order to write a response to a review will be provided access through special arrangement.
- Four-Year Reappointment files & portfolios – all that remains is review by Dean and VCAA/Provost. Any candidate who wishes to access their personnel file in order to write a response to a review will be provided access through special arrangement.
- Annual Performance Review (APR) documents – Department Personnel Committees, College Level Personnel Committees, Deans.
The Faculty Files Reading Room remains closed except by special arrangements. Please contact Alicia Utterback (email@example.com) to make arrangements.
2. Personnel Committees and Annual Performance Reviews: Personnel committees may deliberate on Annual Performance Review Reports virtually (Skype/Zoom, freeconferencecall.com) if participants can join from an environment where confidentiality can be ensured.
Colleges each control their own review process. The UIS Academic Calendar identifies May 14, 2020 as the date that Deans are to forward their written performance evaluations to the VCAA. Each college will need to revise their internal timeline so that the Deans have a day or two to complete their evaluations.
The following adaptations shall be used to facilitate completion of this process and preserve confidentiality and integrity of the process.
APRs – view and collaborate
- Temporary APR folders will be created for each Departmental Personnel Committee or College Level Personnel Committee. These folders will include only the APR documents, as personnel file review is not a part of the APR process. If any college has a process that does require personnel file review, the digital file can be shared upon request.
- Time-limited, Viewer Uploader access (upload, download, preview, share, edit) will be granted to facilitate viewing of documents and collaboration on recommendation memos. At no time should any reviewer download materials to a personal device.
- A digital access log will be maintained to document date/time access is granted and removed for each committee. The log will be printed and added to the personnel file at the completion of the review process.
- All reviewers will review files in Box through the Box viewer. They will not download any files from Box onto their devices.
- CLPC chairs will be asked to print, sign, and send signed memos to Deans electronically using PEAR, with electronic copy to UIS Faculty Files. In cases where the chair does not have access to scanning or electronic signature options, an unsigned memo may be submitted, with signature to be obtained later.
- After memos have been finalized and submitted, these temporary folders will be deleted.
Personnel files & portfolios – view only
- Temporary Previewer access (view only; no upload, download, edit, or share) will be granted to reviewers/review committees, similar to the way that paper files are checked out from the Faculty Files Office.
- A digital access log will be maintained to document date/time access is granted and removed for each user. The log will be printed and added to the personnel file at completion of the review process.
3. Personnel Notifications: Electronic notifications for tenure, promotion, reappointment, etc. will be delivered securely through the PEAR system. Hard copies will also be sent via campus mail.