Applications and Portfolios
Faculty who will be applying for tenure, promotion, or reappointment during Academic Year 2020-2021 are especially encouraged to become familiar with this information related to applications and accompanying portfolios.
The University of Illinois Springfield Portfolio Guidelines can be found in Appendix 10 of the Faculty Personnel Policy
The procedures for this year’s digital/virtual process were designed with convenience of both faculty applicants and reviewers in mind: Applicants have the option of uploading their own materials (section A below) or seeking scanning assistance from the Faculty Files Office (section B below), and reviewers will have only six master documents to open (in addition to the personnel file) when reading applications and portfolios.
Box Upload and Scanning Assistance Protocol
NOTE: Failure to submit an application narrative and portfolio to the Personnel File and an application narrative to the Department Personnel Committee Chair by the date specified in the personnel calendar constitutes a waiver of the right to apply for reappointment, tenure, or promotion
(Faculty Personnel Policy Article 5.3.B, Article 6.3, Article 6.5.D, Article 7.A).
A. Application & Portfolio Protocol – Box Upload (for reappointment, tenure, and promotion reviews)
The Faculty Files Custodian will create a confidential Box folder at least two weeks in advance of application deadlines and send links to faculty scheduled for tenure and reappointment. Promotion applicants should contact the Faculty Files Custodian to request a Box folder. Applicants are encouraged to submit items a day before the application deadline, to ensure there is time to add any required items that may have been inadvertently overlooked.
- Applicants will upload six separate documents into the Box folder:
01 Application Narrative – last name
02 CV – last name
03 Log of Portfolio Contents – last name (individual items within the Teaching, Scholarship, and Service master documents may be continuously numbered overall, or by section, e.g. Teaching – 1, Teaching – 2, Scholarship – 1, Scholarship – 2, so long as numbering aligns with log of contents)
04 Teaching – last name
05 Scholarship – last name
06 Service – last name
- Faculty will send a notification email to email@example.com when they have completed uploading their documents. The Faculty Files Custodian will review to ensure all components have been uploaded and notify faculty of any missing items or confirm receipt of the complete portfolio.
- Faculty will retain editor access to the digital portfolio Box folder until the application deadline has passed. Link to the Academic Personnel Calendar to view application deadlines.
- Complete applications and portfolios (containing all six elements) uploaded by applicants will be made available to reviewers. Incomplete applications and portfolios will not be accepted (per the earlier paper process).
- Portfolios will be deleted from Box at the conclusion of the review.
B. Box Upload Exception – Scanning Assistance
Faculty who need assistance uploading documents for the digital application and portfolio may request an exception by delivering complete paper portfolios to the Faculty Files Office.
- Applications and portfolios submitted for scanning assistance must be delivered to the Faculty Files Office two weeks in advance of the application deadline, to ensure scanning can be completed and portfolio available for department review according to the Academic Personnel Calendar. Applications and portfolios will be quarantined for a 24-hour period before scanning commences.
- Promotion applications and portfolios for scanning: Due on or before September 1, 2020
- Tenure applications and portfolios for scanning: Due on or before September 8, 2020
- Reappointment applications and portfolios for scanning: Due on or before January 5, 2021
- Faculty members will contact the Faculty Files Custodian to make an appointment to deliver their applications and portfolios, to avoid crowding in and around the Faculty Files Office.
- Documents must be submitted in order in a binder and include all six components listed below. Incomplete applications and portfolios will not be accepted (per the earlier paper process). Materials will be scanned as six separate documents for upload to Box:
01 Application narrative – last name
02 CV – last name
03 Log of portfolio contents – last name
04 Teaching documents – last name
05 Scholarship documents – last name
06 Service documents – last name
- No flags or tabs may be attached, other than optional temporary flags/tab dividers to mark the beginning of each of the six sections for the convenience of the scanner.
- Items must be clearly numbered to align with the listing in the log of portfolio contents.
- Applications and portfolios submitted for scanning assistance may include a maximum of 500 pages, including narrative, CV, log, and other documents. Any documents in excess of 500 pages will not be scanned.
- Documents must be one-sided. If two-sided documents are included, only the front side of the document will be scanned and included in the electronic application and portfolio.
- Documents must be 8.5×11 inches. Undersized/oversized documents will not be scanned.
- Documents must be free of staples, paperclips, and binding materials.
- No sheet protectors or plastic sleeves may be used.
- The Faculty Files Custodian will send the faculty member a link to the Box folder with digital application and portfolio once scanning is complete, so that they may check to ensure their application is correct and complete. Editor access to the Box folder will be removed once the application deadline has passed.
- Hard copy applications and portfolios will not be available for review in the Faculty Files Office.
- Applications and portfolios submitted for scanning assistance will be returned to faculty once the review process has been completed.
Questions about this year’s electronic processes may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org