What is the Imaginaseum?
Imaginaseum is a place where faculty are invited to exercise and share their imagination. Though not yet a physical place on our campus, the Imaginaseum is focused on enhancing and promoting the academic quality of the University of Illinois Springfield. Academic quality is a function of the quality of the curriculum, the quality of the faculty, and the quality of facilities designed to produce the deepest learning we are capable of providing our students in and out of the classroom. We have superbly dedicated and highly talented faculty who are continuously engaged in improving their curriculum. It is the third factor – facilities – where we have the greatest growth potential. Read more about Imaginaseum
Imaginaseum Sessions 2018-2019
The Imaginaseum will focus on different topics and opportunities throughout the course of the year. We encourage you to participate in any sessions that you perceive as relevant.
- August 23, 8:30-11:45 am, UHB 2008, A Call for Teaching and Learning Labs at UIS (Papini/Sommer)
- September 27, 8:30-11:45 am, Why Space Matters–Experiential Learning and Action Labs (HSB 110)
- October 25, 8:30-11:45 am, Design Thinking (PAC first floor – former Food Emporium area)
- November 29, 9:00-11:00 am, Ideation, Viability in Classroom Labs (Lake Springfield Field Station)
- February 28, 8:30-11:00 am, Social Innovation with David Racine (Start at UIS in PAC G, followed by 10:00-11:00 am tour of Memorial Center of Learning Innovation)
- March 28, 8:30-10:00 am, Innovation in Government with Kevin Parker
- April 25, 8:30-11:45 am, Startup Weekend
Convener: Bruce Sommer
Mr. Bruce Sommer holds an MBA from the Whittemore School of Business at the University of New Hampshire and a B.S. from Illinois Wesleyan University. He started his research career at the Center for Venture Research where his work focused on the impact of technology commercialization and emerging business start-ups. He has created and sold three of his own companies and invested in and helped develop over 30 different early-stage businesses. Bruce is the managing partner at NextGen Ventures, a venture capital fund and accelerator focused on nascent technologies. Locally, he is the co-founder of Innovate Springfield and Sangamon CEO, non-profit business education programs endeavored to build economically strong communities through individual empowerment and new venture creation. Bruce has worked with inventors, entrepreneurs, faculty and institutional leaders from around the world assisting in ideation, design, and execution of a variety of applied innovations.
A Starting Point
Teaching and Learning Labs at UIS: Workforce Readiness and Revitalization of a Liberal Arts and Sciences Education. Read about the promise and the opportunity – collaborate in creating labs that will allow UIS to transform teaching and learning, support scholarship, and create greater impact in our service to the region and state.
Presidential Initiative to Celebrate the Impact of the Arts and the Humanities – a new system-wide funding opportunity aimed at highlighting and celebrating the public good flowing from the arts and the humanities. (Deadline has passed)