Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Discussion Group
Mission of SoTL Discussion Group
A community of educators dedicated to the use of systemic inquiry methods to investigate teaching and learning.
Benefits of SoTL Discussion Group
- Monthly meetings discussing SoTL literature.
- Help in framing research questions
- Help in navigating IRB processes
- Help in developing internal and external grant proposals
Expectations of Discussion Group
- Attend monthly meetings and speaker presentations
- Prepare for discussions by reading assigned material
- Take an active part in discussions, whether in person or online
- Reflect on how to develop or refine your SoTL research projects
Potential Topics for the Discussion Group
- Introduction to Learning Theories
- Finding your place in SoTL
- Principles of Good Practice in SoTL
- Diverse Methodological Approaches for SoTL
- Designing SoTL Studies – Validity
- Designing SoTL Studies – Practicality
- Statistical Models for Analyzing Learning Data
- Navigating the IRB
- Telling a Good Story Well
- Navigating the Minefields of Publishing
Registration Process for AY 19-20
The online form will ask you to answer each of the following three questions/statements.
1. My research idea or area of SoTL interest is…
2. What do you hope to learn from the group to help you advance your scholarship?
Questions? Contact Layne Morsch