Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Discussion Group
Mission of SoTL Discussion Group 2018-19
A community of educators dedicated to the use of systemic inquiry methods to investigate teaching and learning.
Benefits of SoTL Discussion Group
- Monthly meetings discussing SoTL literature.
- Help in framing research questions
- Help in navigating IRB processes
- Help in developing internal and external grant proposals
Expectations of Discussion Group
- Attend monthly meetings and speaker presentations
- Prepare for discussions by reading assigned material
- Take an active part in discussions, whether in person or online
- Reflect on how to develop or refine your SoTL research projects
Potential Topics for the Discussion Group
- Introduction to Learning Theories
- Finding your place in SoTL
- Principles of Good Practice in SoTL
- Diverse Methodological Approaches for SoTL
- Designing SoTL Studies – Validity
- Designing SoTL Studies – Practicality
- Statistical Models for Analyzing Learning Data
- Navigating the IRB
- Telling a Good Story Well
- Navigating the Minefields of Publishing
Application Process for AY 18-19
The application will ask you to answer each of the following three questions/statements.
1. My research idea or area of SoTL interest is…
2. What do you anticipate you can contribute to the group?
3. What do you hope to learn from the group to help you advance your scholarship?
Application deadline: April 6, 2018
Questions? Contact Layne Morsch