Faculty Excellence Award Guidelines
The Faculty Excellence Award is intended to recognize sustained, career-long accomplishments at UIS in teaching and scholarship. It provides an opportunity to honor colleagues who best exemplify the ideal of the teacher-scholar and whom the faculty recognize as role models. The $4000 award for developmental purposes (conference attendance, research-related travel, commodities/supplies, subscriptions, equipment) is funded through the generosity of Wilbur and Margaret Wepner.
Who can be nominated?
All tenured faculty members with full-time faculty appointments at the rank of associate or full professor are eligible to be nominated, with the exception that faculty members who hold named chairs, full-time administrators holding faculty rank, and past award recipients are not eligible. In the event a member of the Campus Sabbatical & Awards Committee (CSAC) is nominated, they must recuse themselves from the deliberation of the particular award for which they are being considered. The deliberations shall take place without the appointment of a replacement representative. A nominee’s file will remain active for three years unless the nominee is selected for the award.
Who can make nominations?
All tenured and tenure-track faculty members and administrators holding faculty rank may make nominations. There is no limit as to the number of nominees from any department/ program or college. No self-nominations are allowed.
- Nomination materials must include an up-to-date copy of the nominee’s curriculum vitae, and, most importantly, a detailed statement of the justification for the award from the nominator based in significant measure on materials in the nominee’s personnel file and other materials provided by the nominator. Up to two additional letters of support documenting aspects of the nominee’s career accomplishments may also be included.
- The nominator must make the case for the cumulative record of excellence in teaching and scholarship sustained over an entire career.
- Each nominator must obtain written permission from the nominee to review the nominee’s personnel file for assistance with preparing the nomination. Nominees may grant permission via an email message sent to UISfacultyfiles@uis.edu.
The Campus Sabbatical and Awards Committee shall serve as the Review Panel for the Faculty Excellence Award. Consideration by the Review Panel shall include a review of each nominee’s course evaluations, for which the Faculty Files Custodian will provide a cumulative summary report.
- All nominations are due by 5:00 pm on Tuesday, February 1, 2022. The nominee’s last name should be included in the names of all nomination documents. There are two options for submitting nomination materials:
- The Review Panel shall make its recommendations to the Chancellor by Monday, March 7, 2022.
- The Chancellor shall subsequently notify the recipient of this award of her decision. Funds will be available for fiscal year 2023, beginning July 1, 2022.
- The Provost/VCAA shall notify nominees not selected for this award.
- Nomination materials shall be placed in the appropriate faculty member’s personnel file following conclusion of the selection process.