Excellence in Teaching and Learning Fellows
About the Teaching Fellows Program
In an effort to engage with high impact practices in higher education teaching and learning, all full-time teaching faculty were invited to apply to participate in the 2018-2019 Excellence in Teaching and Learning Fellows. This group will meet monthly to discuss educational psychology and research-based practices. Participants will receive free copies of two books: Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning by James Lang, and Teach Students How to Learn by Saundra McGuire. Fellows that participate in seven or more of the ten sessions (including Fall and Spring speakers) will be eligible to apply for implementation grants and travel grants to a conference targeted at improving teaching practices.
Mission of Teaching Fellows
To encourage faculty to engage with high impact teaching practices that transform their teaching.
Benefits of Teaching Fellows
- Faculty exposure to teaching and learning literature that has been shown to improve student learning
- Engagement with other faculty that wish to improve their teaching
- Books to be discussed will be provided for each Fellow
- Additional access to Fall and Spring COPE-L speakers
- Eligibility to apply for competitive implementation grants (call for proposals in Spring 2019)
- Eligibility to apply for competitive travel grants to teaching based conferences (call for proposals in Spring 2019)
Expectations of Teaching Fellows
- Attend monthly meetings and speaker presentations
- Prepare for discussions by reading assigned material
- Take an active part in discussions, whether in person or online
- Reflect on how to develop and incorporate practices into your own teaching
Application Process for AY 18-19
The application included the following three questions.
- How do you hope to benefit from the experience of being an Excellence in Teaching and Learning Fellow?
- What do you do you anticipate you can contribute to the group?
- What challenge in your own teaching do you hope to solve?
A mixed faculty/administration review panel was responsible for choosing the 12 Fellows, and will also review the applications for the competitive grants and travel funds.
If you have questions or would like additional information, contact Layne Morsch
Small Teaching: Everyday Lessons from the Science of Learning by James Lang, 2016.
Teach Students How to Learn by Saundra Yancy McGuire, 2015.