We launched a new campus home page on July 29, 2010.
The page uses the colors, design, and branding elements that are beginning to appear in all university recruitment materials. The primary audiences for the home page are prospective students and external groups.
The page is also important to campus faculty, staff, and students.
- On the right side of the page, the links to Webmail, eDocs, Enterprise and the myUIS portal open login screens right on the page.
- Current calendar and news items appear below the login links.
- On the left side of the page, our Social Player includes buttons to view our latest Flickr slideshow and two new videos, as well as a selected group of UIS-related Twitter feeds. The Live Stream button will automatically display Live Webcasts whenever they are offered. When no webcasts are available, click the buttons to listen to 3 channels of WUIS/WIPA radio, the student radio station, or the campus cable TV channel.
- Between the Social Player and the news are two feature boxes that will change regularly. These photo boxes will showcase faculty research, new initiatives, and other important happenings at UIS.
- On the lower left of the page, you’ll find a GPS button with the coordinates for a GPS device. Also, we have a new Web App for smartphones. Click the link at lower left to see the instructions.
While we were creating the new home page, we asked for and received comments and ideas from the UIS community. We made use of as many suggestions as possible.
We also made use of an external concept feedback service. Industry experts from around the world commented on the design, purpose, originality, and engagement of our draft home page. The advice we received was particular, instructional, and extremely useful for us.
BTW, asking communities to help you perform or evaluate a task is referred to as crowdsourcing. The basic idea is to tap into the collective intelligence of the public at large to complete tasks that you would normally perform yourself. This technique allows you to gain deeper insight into how others see you, and what the external community really wants.
We greatly appreciate all of the feedback we received from the UIS community and others. Thank you all for helping us make the Illinois Springfield website the best it can be.
- View the campus home page »
- Please send your comments about the new home page via this online form:
Office of Web Services
Special thanks to the UIS offices of Public Relations, Marketing, Community Relations, Academic Affairs, Student Affairs, and Campus Services.