Q: I am trying to edit a page on my site, but I can’t find it in my list of pages in WordPress? Where is my page?
A: Many times, the page you are looking for is just titled differently than you think. The easiest way to locate your page is to:
- Log in to WordPress.
- Visit your website in the same browser.
- Locate the page you would like to edit on your site.
- Click on the Edit button in the gray bar at the top of your site.
Q: I just created a new page for my website. How do I get this page into the navigation for a section of my website?
A: Submit a help request form to the Office of Web Services. We will add the page into the navigation for you.
Q: How do I add an email link to a webpage?
A: You can place your actual email address on the page and link it, or link other text to your email address.
- Add text to your web page (i.e. Email John Doe, or email@example.com).
- Select the text.
- Click on the “Insert/edit link” button.
- In the URL field enter mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org (replacing email@example.com with your email address). Note: If you place your email address on the web page, WordPress will automatically add the field for you when you select the Insert/edit link button. If you are linking text, you will need to manually enter it.
- Click on the Update button to the right to update your webpage.
Q: Why can’t I right-click and copy content in WordPress?
A: In WordPress, right-clicking offers you options for entering tables on your webpage. Avoid using tables whenever possible. Tables should only be used for tabular data.
Q: Is my website a blog since it is on WordPress?
A: No. WordPress is both a blogging service and also a content management system (CMS). We use both services at UIS. If you would like to start a blog, please see the ITS website. If you are editing an official university website, it resides on the WordPress CMS and you edit your website pages through WordPress.
Q: How do I replace the header image for my website?
A: Submit a help request form to the Office of Web Services. Let us know what header image you’d like and attach it to the form if you have it. We will add the image for you.
Note: The image will need to be high quality and will need to have content that works in a wide, yet short space.
Q: I’ve made updates to my website, but when I go to look at them, they aren’t there?
A: Make sure you refresh your browser, or clear your cache. Sometimes you are viewing a cached version of your webpage. Visitors to your website will see your changes, but you won’t see them until you refresh the page.