Q: I’ve gone to the URL you provided to connect to my site, but it tells me that the site cannot be found?
A: The URL to connect to your website is https://www.uis.edu/wp-admin. Many editors and authors leave off the “s” in the “https” part of the URL by accident.
Q: I am trying to edit a page on my site, but I can’t find it in my list of pages in WordPress? Where is my page?
A: Many times, the page you are looking for is just titled differently than you think. The easiest way to locate your page is to:
- Log in to WordPress.
- Visit your website in the same browser.
- Locate the page you would like to edit on your site.
- Click on the Edit button in the gray bar at the top of your site.
Q: I just created a new page for my website. How do I get this page into the navigation for a section of my website?
A: Submit a help request form to the Office of Web Services. We will add the page into the navigation for you.
Q: How do I add an email link to a webpage?
A: We suggest that rather than placing your actual email address on the page and linking it, you link other text to your email address.
- Add text to your page (i.e. Email John Doe).
- Select the text.
- Click on the “Insert/edit link” button.
- In the URL field enter mailto:email@example.com (replacing firstname.lastname@example.org with your email address).
- Click on the Update button to the right to update your webpage.
Q: Why can’t I right-click and copy content in WordPress?
A: Currently, the only difference we are seeing between browsers when working in WordPress is the right-click/copy option. You can still use Control or Command + C or choose Edit > Copy from your browser to copy text, but only in Firefox, the option to select text, right-click and copy is not currently available. The option is available in other browsers.
Q: Is my website now a blog since it is on WordPress?
A: No. WordPress is both a blogging service and also a content management system (CMS). We use both services at UIS. If you would like to start a blog, please see the ITS website. If you are editing an official university website, it resides on the WordPress CMS and you edit your website pages through WordPress.
Q: What is the URL to edit my website on WordPress?
A: https://www.uis.edu/wp-admin. You will need to log in with your NetID and password.
Q: My bookmark for the WordPress URL doesn’t work. How can I fix this?
A: When you go to edit your website in WordPress, you go to this URL: https://www.uis.edu/wp-admin. You’ll notice when you click on this URL that the URL in your address bar changes for the login screen. The login screen URL changes frequently, so bookmarking that URL will not work correctly for you. What you can do is bookmark the login URL, but then edit that bookmark and change the URL it points to:
- In your browser, go to https://www.uis.edu/wp-admin.
- At the log in screen, bookmark the page in your browser.
- Go to your bookmarks (or your bookmark toolbar) and edit the bookmark you just made.
- Change the URL from the login URL back to https://www.uis.edu/wp-admin.
- Change the name of the bookmark to “WordPress”.
Note: You can drag a bookmark from the bookmark toolbar in your browser to your desktop to create a shortcut.
Q: How do I replace the header image for my website?
A: Submit a help request form to the Office of Web Services. Let us know what header image you’d like and attach it to the form if you have it. We will add the image for you.
Note: The image will need to be high quality and will need to have content that works in a wide, yet short space.