Addendum D – Guidelines
Guidelines for Official UIS Websites
- University of Illinois Policies for Publishing on the Web
- Template for Official UIS Unit Web Pages
- Web Software Development Tools
- Use of UIS Logo
- Location of Official UIS Web Data
- Name of Home Page
- Required Information
- Optional Information
- Browser Issues
- Writing Style
- Credit Cards
- Technical Support
The University of Illinois maintains policies regarding publishing on the Web. All UIS campus unit websites shall adhere to the policies outlined in the University Web Policy Statement. View complete information.
The following topics are addressed in the University Web Policy:
- Commercial Advertising
- Personal Business
- Web Accessibility
Specific UIS Policies:
Legal Notices and Disclaimers:
Web Privacy Notice:
Unless otherwise noted, UIS websites adhere to the University of Illinois Web Privacy Notice. Read a Complete Copy of the Privacy Notice.
Information Technology Services:
UIS Campus Web Policy:
Themes exist for websites that are designated as Official UIS websites. These websites are designed and developed by the UIS Office of Web Services and are used in WordPress CMS. The themes are not distributed to individuals or to departments.
The theme contains the UIS wordmark with a link to the UIS Home page on the Top Left, Search, Social and links to A-Z Index, Contact, Directory, Maps and Text only on the Top Right. There is a navigation menu which is present on all the Web pages.
There are two official website themes for UIS – 1) Top-level/Marketing and 2) Department.
1) Top-level/Marketing Theme
2) Department Theme
These themes can be used with the approval of the Office of Web Services.
If you need a website that will reside on a primary UIS Web Server with these themes , please contact the Office of Web Services.
Please see the list of approved Web Software Development Tools that may be used for official unit websites that reside on the primary UIS Web Servers.
Use of the UIS logo must adhere to guidelines determined by Campus Relations.
Specifically, the logo must:
- Maintain the correct height and width proportions;
- Stand alone – no text or objects should be placed under or on top of the logo;
- Be produced with correct production methods to insure that it meets visual standards set by the UIS Campus Relations department.
- Download UIS Logos, Wordmarks, or Brand Graphics for print or the Web
All unit website files, such as information and policy pages, databases, applications, photos, media files, etc. must reside in the unit Web account or in an account designated by the Web Server Administrator. These files may not reside in Personal Web Accounts, eDocs accounts, or on off-campus servers.
All UIS unit Web accounts must contain a home page with a file name of index.html or index.htm.
- Other file names for home pages will not be accepted.
- Special redirects to other page names will not be made by the Web Server Administrator.
Official UIS unit Websites should use their Websites to convey the personality of and specific information about their units. Avoid long, dense passages of text. Use bulleted lists as often as possible to break up long paragraphs of text.
All official UIS unit Websites must contain the following:
- UIS official theme, which includes: UIS Name and Home Page link:
University of Illinois Springfield
- Name, phone number, and email address of the Dean/Director/Chair/Convener, or person in charge of the unit;
- Name, phone number, and email address of all full-time faculty or staff members in the unit;
- An email address and/or a phone number of a contact person for questions about the website and/or the unit;
- List of degrees or services offered by the unit;
- A link to the official UIS Course Schedule (for academic sites). Do not recreate the text for this information – use the following link:
UIS Course Schedule
- A link to the official UIS Catalog Course Descriptions for the unit (for academic sites). Do not recreate the text for this information – use the following:
For more information about the required contents of academic and department websites, download and read the specific information at the Office of Web Services website.
- Faculty and/or staff office hours
- List of adjunct faculty
- Announcements of open faculty and staff positions
- Featured information about the unit
- List of unit policies and/or events
- Information about students and alumni
Images included on unit Web pages should:
- Be representative of UIS;
- Be produced with correct production methods;
- Be proportionally correct;
- Consist of a small file size so as to download quickly;
- Contain correct links so that the images appear correctly on the Web page;
- Conform to copyright laws
Acquiring and Editing Photographs:
If you need to acquire photos of UIS people or places, contact the Marketing department at 206-6198.
If you need help producing images, contact Information Technology Services at 206-6550.
Model Release Forms:
If you are taking your own photos for use on your website, please obtain a release from any persons shown in the photo.
Check your site to be sure it displays correctly in Chrome, Explorer, Firefox, and Safari Web browsers. Some Web page items do not display consistently among browsers.
Ideally, a Web page should be 50k or smaller in file size and download in 20 seconds or less from a modem connection. Check your website on many computers and browsers to be sure it appears correctly, that there are no dead links, and that it downloads quickly.
The content of your Web page should conform to the UIS Style Guidelines, including guidelines for Electronic Style. See these Web links:
In addition, the Office of Web Services maintains additional Web-specific guideline documents:
All University units must obtain approval from the University Office of Business and Financial Services, Accounting Division prior to accepting Visa and MasterCard credit cards for purchases of goods and/or services through a unit website.
UIS provides entry-level technical support for all issues related to computers and UIS websites. The Technical Support department should be your first line of communication if you have questions or problems related to your computer or your website.
Please see Web Software Development Tools – guidelines for Web development software that are supported by the UIS Technical Support Center.
UIS Technical Support
HSB building, Lower Level
Email Address: email@example.com
Effective March 2013, all official campus websites will migrate to the campus WordPress CMS.
When a new official unit website is created, the persons designated as the Editors and Authors will be invited to a training session conducted by the Office of Web Services (unless they have already completed training).
All official unit websites that have been migrated in the UIS Website Migrations Project 2013 must be edited with WordPress CMS.
Personal websites, and sites that will not reside on the primary UIS Web Servers, may be developed with Adobe Dreamweaver software. Dreamweaver software workshops are offered by the Information Technology Services department.
Front Page Web editing software is no longer supported by Microsoft and is no longer supported on the UIS campus.
The Information Technology Services department offers tip sheets and workshops to help you learn how to create websites and scan and edit photographs. Their lab computers have scanners, Adobe Photoshop, and other Web-related software. They also have digital cameras available for checkout by UIS faculty and staff.
Contact ITS at 206-6550, or visit their Website