What does a mentor do?
Mentors are role models. Mentors do not act primarily as teachers, parents, coaches, or friends. Though they may take on different aspects of these roles at times, their primary job is to support and guide young people and to provide them with a positive perspective on life. Mentors are usually matched in September and meet with their mentee once a week for the rest of the academic year. Studies show that mentoring relationships that last 6 months or longer are far more likely to have positive impacts.
How do you apply to become a mentor?
- Stop by our office (Student Affairs Building, Room 60) anytime between 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM.
- Fill out an application in our office that will be sent to Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Illinois Capital Region.
- Schedule an interview time.
- Have an interview with a Big Brothers Big Sisters Representative.
- Once the interview is over and the background check is cleared, they will contact you to let you know when you can start mentoring.
What does a tutor do?
Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) tutors are college students who receive training in methodologies used in AVID. They are in the classroom every Tuesday and Thursday to serve as models and to help students achieve success in rigorous classes. They are trained not to give students the answers, but rather to guide them toward answers. They may even ask permission to “shadow” students in their classes to help them learn how to take notes more effectively.
How do you apply to become a tutor?
- Visit the UIS Career Services Website.
- Click on Career Connect on the right side of the page.
- Click Career Connect Student Login.
- Log in with your username and password.
- Make sure you have an updated resume uploaded on Career Connect.
- Click on Search for Jobs and Openings-Jobs Targeted to UIS Students/Alumni.
- In the Keyword Box type ‘AVID’ and do a search.
- Click apply
- You will receive a phone call from AVID in order to set up an interview and complete a background check.
- Once you are accepted for the position, the Springfield School District will work with your schedule to find the times for you to volunteer.