Points of Pride
Associate Professor Shane Harris teaches Ceramics and Sculpture courses ranging from introductory ceramics, Advanced ceramics, Ceramic Technology, Flatpack Design, Sculpture, and 3-D design here at UIS. He is a Professional Artist, working with small-scale ceramic sculptures, which explore concepts of connection, intimacy, body language and relationships. His work has been acquired for multiple private collections, published and shown nationally in both solo and group exhibitions. A few are highlighted below:
- “Biomorphic” was held at the American Museum Of Ceramic Art, Pomona, CA in 2016.
- “5 x 5 x 5” was held at Red Lodge Clay Center Gallery, Red Lodge, MT in 2016.
- “Vignettes” was held at the Perkinson Art Gallery, Millikin University, Decatur, IL in 2016.
- “Eye Candy” was held at the MCC Ray Frederick Gallery, Marshalltown, IA in 2016.
- “The Best of 500 Ceramics Celebrating a Decade in Clay” Lark Books, in 2012.
To read more, visit Shane Harris’ Faculty Page.
Assistant Professor Brytton Bjorngaard teaches Digital Media & Photography courses ranging from introductory design technology, Print Design, Web Design, Typography, Animation, to Film & Digital Photography here at UIS. She is a freelance graphic designer, working with a variety of clients, and an exhibiting artist, in which her work investigates the myriad of ways we miscommunicate.
- “Otto Cricket Hits” was held at the LLCC James S. Murray Gallery, Springfield, Illinois from August 22 to September 15, 2016
- “Let the Words Fall Out” was held at the UIS Visual Arts Gallery, Springfield, Illinois from August 24 to September 17, 2015.
To read more, visit Brytton Bjorngaard’s Faculty Page.
Hometown // Morrisonville, IL
Degree Pursuing // B.A. in Visual Arts
Graduation Date // May 2018
How is UIS preparing you for your future? UIS has prepared me to pursue a career in visual arts by offering a program that supplied the fundamental knowledge to strategically explore my interests. My professors have helped guide me down the best path while respecting the importance of artistic liberty. The skills that I’ve accumulated throughout the variety of courses have provided me with a well-rounded educational experience that helped prepare me for my future creative endeavors.
Hometown // Springfield, IL
Degree from UIS // B.A. in Visual Arts
Current job // Graphic Designer & Tier 2 Product Specialist at Ace Sign Company
How did UIS prepare you for your job? UIS prepared me for my job at Ace Sign Co. by giving me the opportunity to work alongside professors, not only as a student, but as a Leadership Lived Experience Student Worker. The additional knowledge I learned in my position through working side by side with Professor Brytton Bjorngaard helped me navigate the designer/client relationship. Her experience as a commercial designer helped provide me with direction and knowledge of the field.
November 2016: UIS Visual Arts Gallery to hold silent auction fundraiser.
October 2015: UIS Visual Arts Gallery presents “Strange Matter.”
February 2015: UIS Visual Arts Gallery to feature Decatur artist.