UIS supports student research through grants for research supplies, travel, and printing costs. Also, the Undergraduate Research Support Program provides workshops to help you at the different stages of a research project. Finally, UIS sponsors an annual Student Arts and Research Symposium (StARS) to showcase your work.
Video from Grant Application Workshop November 28, 2012
Applying for an undergraduate student research grant –
Dr. Keenan Dungey
Undergraduate research with humans or animals: the IRB –
Dr. Frances Shen
Student workshop on undergraduate research in January for summer applications.
Faculty development workshops on grant writing, publishing, and mentoring undergraduate research students are offered periodically. Check the Faculty Development Office website for this semester’s schedule of events.
- Undergraduate Student Research Grant Program
- Competitive Public Affairs Research Grants Program (doc)
- CLAS Student-Faculty Research Program
- Student Conference Program
- President’s Research in Diversity Travel Award Program
- Check with your college for other funding opportunities (eg. CLAS Student-Faculty Creative Activities program)
Other funding opportunities:
- Emerging Scholars Fellowship
- Sigma Xi
- Check with your professional society
- The UIS Grants and Contracts Office can assist faculty and students in seeking external funding for research. Their website includes information on preparing proposals, policies at UIS, as well as links to the Institutional Review Board for research with human subjects, and the Institutional Committee for the Care and Use of Animals.”
- Fully equipped laboratories in Chemistry, Biology, Clinical Lab Science, and Psychology.
- Studios for ceramics, print making, and other traditional and modern arts
- Active theater program with student productions each semester, and a music program with a variety of performance groups.
- Brookens Library
- Center for Online Learning, Research, and Service [COLRS]
- Therkildsen Field Station at Emiquon
- Barber Observatory
- The Southern Illinois University School of Medicine in Springfield
- Illinois State Museum in Springfield and Dickson Mounds in Lewistown
- Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum in Springfield
- Responsible Research training from NIH
- How to make your first conference presentation (pdf)
[article by Tim Hanks, Furman University]