An application process is required for admission to the program. Students must first be admitted to UIS and then make separate application to the Department of Social Work. Acceptance is based on a combination of previous academic record, personal development, and motivation for service in the field.
The admission process can be initiated any time during the year, but UIS acceptance and all program application requirements must be completed and on file by fall and spring deadlines for priority admission.
The admission process includes:
- Bachelor of Social Work Program Application
- Social Work Recommendation Form (two separate references are required)
- Personal Statement (two-page rationale for pursuing a degree in Social Work)
Because the professional preparation requirements of the social work curriculum are extensive, the program urges prospective students to begin this process before starting at UIS. A broad knowledge background in the social sciences is essential. Therefore, the program requires preparatory work in the social sciences.
Prerequisites for admission include:
- Introduction to Psychology
- Introduction to Sociology/Anthropology
- Political Science (i.e., State and Local Government)