Foursquare the application
- Foursquare is a web and mobile phone application that allows registered users to connect with friends and update their location by "checking in" to venues.
- Users can choose to have their "check-ins" posted on their Twitter, Facebook or both.
- Users can create a "To Do" list for their private use and add "Tips" to venues that other users can read, which serve as suggestions for great things to do, see or eat at the location.
Foursquare the game
- Points are awarded for "checking in" at venues.
- Users can also earn badges by checking in at locations with certain tags, for check-in frequency or for other patterns such as time of check-in.
- If a user has checked-in to a venue on more days than anyone else in the past 60 days, and they have a profile photo, they will be crowned "Mayor" of that venue, until someone else earns the title by checking in more times than the previous mayor.
Featured university venues
- Brookens Auditorium
- Brookens Library
- Sangamon Auditorium, UIS
- Stars Lounge
- The Colonnade
- The Quad
- The Recreation and Athletic Center (TRAC)
- The UIS Pond
- The UIS Studio Theatre
- Visual Arts Gallery
- WUIS Building
How do I start?
- Instantly link to your address book, Facebook and Twitter accounts to discover where your friends are hanging out. See if they’re near you by looking at where they’ve recently checked in.
- Type in the name of a building or place in Foursquare search. Check in on your phone and join the game.
- Read more about Foursquare at our university in our Web Services document: About Foursquare.