Why did you run for SGA?
Last year, I served as the SGA Treasurer and going in to it I did not know how everything would be. It turned out that throughout my term I really began to enjoy being a part of SGA more everyday. It really was truly an honor serving as the SGA Treasurer and that is why I decided to run again and this time for a position where my voice would carry a little further. I enjoy working with my SGA colleagues as well as administrators at UIS. What I love most about being a part of SGA however is the opportunity to help the student population and help make UIS an even better institution to attend.
What are your goals for the upcoming year on SGA?
My main goal on this year is to be a strong voice for the UIS student population to the University of Illinois Board of Trustees. The students are the reason I have the opportunity to serve as Student Trustee and I will not let them down. I want students to always be able to approach me if they have a concern or need further understanding on an issue.
- My main priority for this upcoming year is to work with President Mulvey and the rest of the SGA in order to keep the student population up to date and engage in the Student Union building process. I am extremely committed to ensuring that future students are able to get a building specifically for them.
- Another priority of mine during this year is to further expand STARewards and work to ensure that the program remains stable for many years to come.
- Townhalls are something that I have been extremely passionate about, and I believe that for this year the SGA can do a lot more of them. I am pushing to get more town halls so that students will be able to have more opportunities to speak with their representatives.
- These are some of my main goals for the upcoming more with many more on my website www.jamaal4trustee.com. Please feel free to check out and stay updated through it or like my Facebook page www. facebook.com/trusteehollins.
What other organizations/activities are you involved with at UIS?
- Member of the Squash Club
- CAP Peer Mentor
- Necessary Steps Mentor
What is your favorite thing about UIS?
My favorite thing about UIS has to be its age. It is an extremely young university with an enormous potential and ability to grow. Having the ability to be a part of important decisions for the future of this institution has been extremely rewarding for me. Even the smallest idea brought up by a student can turn in to something huge. The student union project and STARewards program truly illustrate that. There is so much opportunity for change and students have the opportunity to be on the forefront of that.
What are your career aspirations?
Once I graduate I plan on becoming a software developer. I have loved computer programming since high school, so I really hope that I will be able to have a successful career with it. I also hope to further my education so that when new opportunities I will be ready to tackle those.