Leadership for Life Service Wing
Leadership For Life (L4L) Service Program
Leadership for Life Service Program (L4L) is a service and leadership program with a first year living-learning community located in Lincoln Residence Hall.
The purpose of the program is to provide a positive environment through which students can take the first steps toward a lifelong commitment to community involvement.
First year students admitted to L4L live together, take a class together, and commit to doing service together.
After the freshmen year, L4L members continue in the program and have opportunities to take leadership roles in creating and leading service projects.
Who are we looking for?
Admittance to L4L is based on an interest in giving back to the community. Rather than looking for a specific academic profile, L4L seeks members that can demonstrate evidence of commitment to and passion for service.
What are the requirements?
- New L4L members are required to live on the L4L floor during their first year in the program. After the first year you can continue your membership in L4L while living elsewhere.
- New L4L members are required to take the fall course ‘EXL 202 Service Learning Immersion.’ This course counts toward the general education ECCE engagement requirement.
- All L4L members complete 40 hours of service each semester.
- You can be a member of both the Capital Scholars Honors Program and Leadership for Life. However if you are admitted to Leadership for Life, you cannot be a member of STARS or Necessary Steps.
How do I apply?
- Complete a housing application and check the box for Leadership for Life
- Fill out the Leadership for Life online application form. Applications are due by July 1.
- Once your application has been submitted, the Volunteer & Civic Engagement Center will contact you to schedule a brief phone interview.
- If you are selected for the program you will be given permission to enroll in the Leadership for Life first semester course EXL 202.
*NOTE: Space in the program is limited and admission is conducted on a rolling basis; it is in your best interest to apply early.
If you would like to learn more about the porgram please call or email the UIS Volunteer and Civic Engagement Center at email@example.com or (217) 206-7716. We would be happy to tell you more and answer any questions that you may have.