To search this page for research opportunities at UIS, choose Ctrl + F on a PC, or Command + F on a Mac and type in your search term.
The following faculty have expressed an interest in mentoring an undergraduate student in a research, scholarly or creative activity. Students are encouraged to contact a faculty member directly, using the department link.
Robotics and Autonomous Systems
genetics of the chambered nautilus
Economic History, Economic Reforms
Number Theory, q-series, work inspired by Ramanujan
C and N dynamics in restored wetlands
Asian American literature and culture, children’s literature, comics and graphic narratives
nanotechnology, chemistry of water quality
YouTube: Keenan Dungey Studies Nanotechnology
archaeology, landscape history, European prehistory
Political philosophy, social theory, history of ideology
Pollution regulations, businesses and the economy
Social Work in cross-cultural contexts, Survey Research, Action Research
LNT and LIS
biochemistry of toxins, mass spectroscopy of proteins
history, race, gender and law
Women’s Studies, Antebellum US History
green chemistry, ionic liquids
Contemporary analytic metaphysics, liberal multiculturalism
microbial communities, aquatic ecology
analyzing stellar explosions with Hubble
tallgrass prairie restoration and management
Social-Emotional Development, Temperament, Early School Readiness
Green organic chemistry, antimicrobial plant extracts ganizational climate
Literature, Theology and Art History (mainly painting and sculpture)
Attention, Emotion, and electroencephalography (EEG)
Strategic management in a supply chain context
environmental change, vertebrate paleontology, paleoecology
Maritime History, Pirates, Japan, Eastern Asian Popular Culture, Military History
Counseling Psychology, Multicultural and Diversity Issues, Asian American Psychology
Music research projects, anthropology/sociology of music, social justice issues
Non-traditional students, motivation, barriers to education
DNA barcodes for oak species, Plant Molecular Biology, Molecular Evolution, Antimicrobial Properties of Plant Extracts
YouTube: Professor Lucia Vazquez
Workplace mistreatment, training effectiveness, and organizational climate
Social psychology, self-enhancement, person perception, sport psychology
Each department at UIS has different opportunities for students to engage in the research process. Speak to your academic advisor for specific details in your program.
For example, some departments have separate independent research courses (CHE 400, BIO 400). Others have a research methods course followed by an independent study course (PSY 302…). In some programs, a research project is required for departmental honors (eg. PSC). And the CAP Honors program requires each student to complete an interdisciplinary project for their senior thesis.
Whether or not your program offers a course in research, you can still earn college credit through Internship Services. The Internships and Prior Learning Services office has information on local internships that involve original research projects. Someof these internships pay students, and all of them qualify for ECCE Engagement Experience credit. You can even design your own internship project with a UIS faculty member to participate in research on campus.
Faculty collaborate with several local off-campus researchers.
UIS is a proud member of the Council of Public Liberal Arts and Colleges, which publishes a fall and spring edition of Metamorphosis: A Journal of Undergraduate Research, Scholarship, and Creative Activity. As a COPLAC member campus, UIS may submit outstanding student work for publication in Metamorphosis. Student work must be reviewed and approved by the URSP Committee, and will be submitted through the office of Undergraduate Research, not directly from the student.
Additional resources available through COPLAC are the Regional URSCA Conferences and Multi-campus Digital Liberal Arts Research Seminars. The research seminars cap at 12 students and applicants must be approved by their home campus.
- National Science Foundation Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- American Chemical Society Research Opportunities for Undergraduates
- Collected Internet Resources for Research by Undergraduate Students
- Undergraduate Scholarships, Fellowships, and Research Experiences
Conferences and Publications
- Undergraduate Research Commons A showcase of outstanding undergraduate research.
- International Journal of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activities This journal represents a grass-roots effort to support and advance undergraduate scholarship in all academic disciplines at institutions across the country and around the world.
- ISAS The Illinois Academy of Science, which hosts an annual meeting where undergraduate students can present their research.
- Journal of Student Research The Journal of Student Research is an electronic, peer-reviewed, multi-disciplinary journal devoted to the rapid dissemination of current research.
- NCUR National Conferences on Undergraduate Research. Publishes proceedings.
- Metamorphosis Metamorphosis is an online journal of undergraduate research published by COPLAC. Up to two students per semester from a member institution may be published. Contact Dr. Keenan Dungey for instructions on how to submit a manuscript.Check with your advisor about disciplinary conferences.
- Online Learning Journals The UIS Center for Online Learning, Research and Service provides links to a wide variety of online learning journals.
- Fine Focus The first microbiology research journal for undergraduate students.
- Sigma Xi the Student Research Conference for the national scientific research honor society.