FERPA is the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. The Office of Records and Registration offers two delivery methods for training. The training helps faculty and staff to understand the act and learn how to comply.
- Online Tutorial
FERPA Classroom Training
Classroom training is presented by staff from the Office of Records and Registration when requested. To request training please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
FERPA Online Tutorial
The purpose of this tutorial is to provide basic FERPA training for UIS faculty and staff. The University is legally and ethically obligated to protect the confidentiality of student records. To be granted access to student records, you must review this tutorial and complete a brief quiz.
What should I expect to gain from this tutorial?
- Knowledge of laws and policies governing acceptable use and release of student records.
- An understanding of your responsibilities in complying with these laws and policies.
- An understanding of how to protect a student’s right to privacy.
- What is FERPA?
- What is an Educational Record?
- Directory Information
- Suppressed Directory Information
- Non-Directory Information
- Your Responsibilities
- Access to Student Records
- Freedom of Information Act
- A Brief Review
At the conclusion of the review section, you may take the Quiz and submit a certification form signifying your completion of the tutorial.
Office of Records and Registration
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza, MS UHB 1076
Springfield, IL 62703-5407