Students are responsible for knowing and adhering to the policies, deadlines, and procedures contained in the catalog and current policies and registration information booklet. If you are considering a departure from UIS please note the following:
- Contact the Office of Financial Assistance: Students receiving financial assistance must contact the Office of Financial Assistance PRIOR to dropping a course or withdrawing from the University to determine the effect on the student’s financial aid award for the semester. If you have financial assistance, you may be required to repay all or part of your financial aid, including scholarships, grants, work study, and loans. After your withdrawal has been processed, review your account to view your balance.
- Drop your class(es): If you are leaving the University for any reason, you must withdraw from your classes to avoid receiving failing grades. Non-attendance or non-payment does not constitute an official withdrawal. You may be responsible for all or part of the tuition and fees if you have withdrawn after the first day of instruction. Check the Drop/Withdrawal Policy for a full refund schedule.
- You can drop all but your last class online, but must select the “Cancel Registration/Withdraw from Term” link in Student Self-Service (https://apps.uillinois.edu) to completely withdraw.
- If you have a hold that prevents registration activity, you may still be able to withdraw. Please contact the Office of Records and Registration for consultation.
- Pay any remaining tuition, fees, and other charges on your student account:
You will not be able to re-register at the University or request an official transcript if any unpaid past due charges remain on your account. Past due accounts may be referred to a collection agency and/or result in legal action. To find out more about payments and billing please visit the University Student Financial Services & Cashier Operations website.
- Contact the Office of Records and Registration:
If you are leaving the University due to medical reasons or extenuating circumstances, you may wish to contact the Office of Records and Registration (217/206-6174 or email@example.com). If you are leaving for military or volunteer emergency reasons, please refer to the Leave Policies website.
- Contact the Department of Residence Life:
If you live in on-campus housing, contact the Department of Residence Life (217/206-6190 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to discuss procedures associated with moving out, as well as cancellation of your housing contract.
- Return your laptop, books, equipment, keys, or materials on loan from the University:
Library books, lab equipment, keys, and any other University materials must be returned promptly to avoid late fees and/or replacement costs. Capital Scholars Honors Program students must arrange the timely return of their laptop, power supply cord, and Ethernet cord to the Technology Support Center (HSB 110). There is a monthly $100 late return fee for failing to address this return.
- Update your address and phone number: We do not want to lose touch with you. Please update your address using Student Self Service or via my.UIS.edu.
- Contact the Office of International Student Services (ISS): International students should contact ISS as SEVIS requires notification when an international student leaves the University. Contact ISS (217/206-6678 or email@example.com). International students should not change their current mailing address to an address outside of the United States without first consulting ISS.
Students who change sections, add, and/or drop, will be charged full tuition and fees for every transaction according to the established deadlines. The date you officially drop/withdraw will impact the amount you owe and/or the amount to be refunded, as well as the grade on your transcript. A course officially dropped after the add/drop period will result in a grade of “W” on your transcript. A failing grade will be assigned and calculated in your grade point average for courses not dropped by the specified deadlines.
Please contact the Office of Records and Registration with any questions regarding withdrawing or coming back to UIS:
- Phone: (217) 206-6174
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org