How to Apply
The MPH Degree is very competitive, and the application is more involved than some other programs.
Unlike undergraduate programs, which allow students to simply apply to the university and declare a major, your graduate application is two separate processes.
You must apply to the UIS Graduate School and you must also apply to Master of Public Health program. Commence both steps simultaneously as soon as possible for complete expedited consideration.
- Apply to the UIS Grad School as soon as possible. Your official transcripts, GRE, and for international applicants only, a personal goals statement must be directed to:
Office of Admissions UHB 1080
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza
Springfield, IL 62703-5407
Alternatively, official transcripts may also be submitted electronically directly from the originating college/university
As you fill out the MPH form, be prepared to list the names AND email addresses of three academic or professional people. MPH will send an email to those people explaining the referral procedure. You will also be asked to complete a short An Academic ESSAY (NOT a Personal Goals Statement).
Application Due Dates
The department accepts and reviews completed applications year round; however, seats are limited. Therefore, priority admission to the degree will be given to individuals with completed applications by the preceding March 15 for summer and fall semesters admissions and the preceding October 15 for spring semester admissions. Please note, that if you are also applying for the Graduate Public Service Internship or Graduate Assistantship options, your application file must be complete by March 15 to be in the fall pool of candidates for these financial aid opportunities.
Prerequisites for Full Admission
To be eligible for full admission to the Master of Public Health program applicants must have:
- earned a baccalaureate degree with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- GRE exam scores report
- Three referrals submitted in accordance with department procedures
- Submission of MPH Academic Essay
- MPH Environmental Health applicants ONLY must also present a strong background of 30-hours in natural sciences, as evidenced by department review of official transcripts.
Students who are missing any of these prerequisites may be eligible for conditional enrollment. All conditions must be completed within the first year of enrollment.
Email the Master of Public Health Office or call 217-206-6720