How to Apply
The application for admission to the MPH degrees is a two-part process.
- Part One: Complete theMPH application packet, including:
- The MPH program application form. Download the Mph Application-fillable form. Word.doc
- Three references. Download the MPH Reference Form. Applicants may submit reference letters instead of using the reference form.
- An Academic Essay addressing each of the following three topics (a template describing the preferred template is online Essay Form):
a) What are the most urgent public health problems facing your community today?
b) How will a master’s degree in public health help prepare you to address these problems?
c) Which area of public health specialization appeals most to you?
- GRE report. Applicants may submit alternate credentials in lieu of the GRE that include:
- Other graduate proficiency exams, such as GMAT or MCAT,
- A post-Bachelor’s credential such as a Master’s degree or graduate certificate. or
- A professional license or certificate that requires a bachelor’s degree for eligibility to sit for the exam. Please submit proof of the credential with your MPH program application material
All Public Health Department application materials (program application, goals essay, and three reference letters) should be sent to:
Public Health MPH Admissions Committee
University of Illinois at Springfield
One University Plaza – PAC 309
Springfield, IL 62703-5407
Materials may also be attached to an email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 217-206-7807 (directed to PAC 309).
NOTE: Do NOT send official transcripts or GRE scores to the MPH office as this will DELAY your application. Official transcripts and GRE scores must be sent to the Office of Admissions.
Part two: Complete the UIS Application for Graduate Admission. The UIS Office of Admissions requires the University application, application fee and official transcripts. Official transcripts must be forwarded from all previous colleges that you have attended to:
Office of Admissions
University of Illinois Springfield
One University Plaza
MS UHB 1080
Springfield, Illinois 62703
Follow this link to UIS Admissions Information.
Application Due Dates
The department accepts and reviews completed applications year round; however, seats are limited. Therefore priority admission to the degree will be given to individuals with completed applications by the preceding February 15 for summer and fall semesters admissions and the preceding October 15 for spring semester admissions. Please note, that if you are also applying for the Graduate Public Service Internship or Graduate Assistantship options, your application file must be complete by February 15 to be in the fall pool of candidates for these financial aid opportunities.
Prerequisites for Full Admission
To be eligible for full admission to the Master of Public Health program applicants must have:
- earned a baccalaureate degree with a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale,
- at least 30 hours of natural sciences on the transcript (natural sciences include biological sciences, chemistry, physics, environmental sciences, astronomy, geology, meteorology, etc. Other courses may be accepted on a case by case basis) and
- an undergraduate course in basic statistics.
Students who are missing any of these prerequisites may be eligible for conditional enrollment. All conditions must be completed within the first year of enrollment.