MPH Degree Requirements*
The Master of Public Health degree requires successful completion of 48 semester hours of course work, which includes a four-hour internship. A student may opt for the General MPH degree or the MPH-Environmental Health concentration.
Students must consult with their academic advisors to develop an approved education plan before they will be allowed to register the first semester.
MPH Required Core Courses (all 4-credit hours)
Plus 20-hours of Approved Electives
- MPH 503 Biostatistics for the Health Professional
- MPH 506 Community Health Research
- MPH 511 Foundations of Epidemiology
- MPH 521 Environmental and Occupational Health
- MPH 531 Public Health Policy and Administration
- MPH 561 Community Health Education
- MPH 581 Internship
TOTAL Credit Hours Required: 48 Hours
The following courses demand prerequisite coursework:
MPH 506 needs MPH 503
MPH 508 needs MPH 506
MPH 512 needs MPH 511
MPH 514 needs MPH 511
MPH 528 needs MPH 527
MPH 529 needs MPH 528
MPH 535 needs MPH 531
MPH 581 needs All core courses and learning agreement
Follow this link for the list of General Concentration approved electives.
Follow this link for the list of the Environmental Health Concentration additional core and approved electives .
All core courses are offered both online and campus spring and fall terms.
The course rotation list for electives is here: ELECTIVES
Closure Requirement: Comprehensive Exam
The closure experience is a comprehensive written examination based on an applied case study designed to test the student’s ability to integrate the knowledge gained from the five general core courses. Students are expected to take the comprehensive exam during their final semester of coursework. A student may repeat the exam twice, but must successfully complete the exam within one year after completing course work for the degree. Students who are not taking other courses in the degree program must enroll in MPH 583 (zero credit hours, one billable hour) until they pass the exam.
ACADEMIC STANDARDS POLICY
A. Academic Standards within the Department;
- A maximum of eight credit hours of “C” grades in courses is applicable to the degree, provided each “C” is balanced by an equal number of hours of “A” credit. No credit is given for a course in which less than a “C” is earned.
- Students may retake any Public Health course in which a grade less than C is earned only once. A second failure of the same course or failure of a second course is cause for dismissal from the department.
- Students who have been dismissed from the department may request a meeting with the Department Academic Standards Committee to determine what, if any, developmental work must be accomplished before application for reinstatement into the department can be considered.
- Students who accumulate 12 hours of incomplete grades are subject to probation and may not register for additional courses until passing grades have been acquired for all courses.
B. Graduation Requirements
- Students must satisfactorily complete the program requirements with a “B” or better grade average and within the specified time limitations set by the University.
- Students must complete a graduation contract the semester in which they intend to graduate.
- Follow this link to the MPH program application form.
Follow this link to the MPH Undergraduate Minor.
* Students who were admitted before fall 2014 should consult the catalog requirements in place at the time of admission. Students who wish to update to the 2014-2015 catalog requirements must consult with their academic advisor.
For assistance or information email or call 217-206-6720