Professional Certificate in Child Advocacy Studies
The University of Illinois Springfield Child Advocacy Studies (CAST) program is designed to educate the next generation of mandated reporters as well as those professionals already working in the child welfare field.
The CAST curriculum includes core courses aimed at increasing knowledge of key child maltreatment concepts. These courses are offered entirely online, so the certificate may be completed without ever setting foot on campus. Students interested in this certificate have a few choices for completing it.
- Current UIS degree-seeking students in public administration, criminal justice, social work, human services, legal studies, or teacher education may select the three required courses as electives in their program.
- Non-degree-seeking students must be admitted to the university and then take the three required courses. Standard tuition rates and fees apply.
- In the fall of 2015, professionals may fulfill continuing education requirements and earn CAST certification. Details will be available soon.
The UIS CAST courses are certified by the National Child Protection Training Center at Winona State University. CAST @ UIS is an interdisciplinary partnership between the Schools of Public Affairs and Administration and Education and Human Services and the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services. All courses are 400-level and open to undergraduates and graduates. Perspectives on Child Maltreatment and Advocacy (PAD 481) is a prerequisite for both Global Child Advocacy (PAD 482) and The System’s Response to Child Maltreatment (PAD 483). The final two courses may be taken in any order. Students may take the courses according to their time frame and availability (over one year or longer).
The three courses include:
- PAD 481: Perspectives on Child Maltreatment and Advocacy – offered spring semesters (January-May) [PAD 481 course syllabus – PDF]
- PAD 482: Global Child Advocacy – offered summer semesters (June-July) [PAD 482 course syllabus – PDF]
- PAD 483: The System’s Response to Child Maltreatment -offered fall semesters (August-December) [PAD 483 course syllabus – PDF]
UIS CAST Brochure